Kevin Newsom is President Trumps’s nominee to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit from Alabama.
Age: 44 (approximate)
Current Position: Partner, Bradley Arant Boult Cummings, LLP (Birmingham, AL)
- B.A., Samford University (1994), summa cum laude, President’s Cup
- J.D., Harvard Law School (1997), magna cum laude, Articles Editor, Harvard Law Review
- Judge Diarmuid F. O’Scannlain of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (1997-1998)
- Justice David H. Souter of the U.S. Supreme Court (2000-2001)
- 2001-2003: Associate, Covington & Burling (Washington, DC)
- 2003-2007: Solicitor General for the State of Alabama (Montgomery, AL)
- 2007-present: Partner, Bradley Arant, Boult Cummints, LLP (Birmingham, AL)
- Mr. Newsom has argued four cases in the U.S. Supreme Court, has filed amicus curiae briefs in more than 20 others, and has authored numerous petitions for certiorari and briefs in opposition to certiorari.
- Outside the U.S. Supreme Court, Mr. Newsom has argued more than 30 cases in nine different federal appellate circuits as well as in the Alabama Supreme Court and the Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals.
- In 2011, Chief Justice John G. Roberts appointed Mr. Newsom to the Advisory Committee on Appellate Rules, which studies and advises the Judicial Conference of the United States concerning amendments and improvements to the Federal Rules of Appellate Proceture. Mr. Newsom is one of only three private practitioners on the 10-person committee.
Select Awards: Fellow, American Academy of Appellate Lawyers (since 2016); Chambers USA, Appellate Litigation (since 2015); The Best Lawyers in America (since 2009); American Lawyer Magazine “Fab Fifty: America’s Top 50 Litigators Under Age 45” (2007); Law360 “Rising Star: America’s Top 10 Appellate Lawyers Under Age 40” (2010); Benchmark Litigation, “Litigation Star” (since 2011); Recipient (four-time) National Association of Attorneys General “Best Brief Award, ” given for outstanding briefing in U.S. Supreme Court.
Biographical Notes: Mr. Newsom is married and has two young children.