Ralph R. Erickson is President Trump’s nominee to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
Age: 58 (approximate)
Current Position: U.S. District Court Judge, District of North Dakota
- B.A., Jamestown College (1980)
- J.D., The University of North Dakota Law School (1984)
- 1984-1994: Associate, Ohnstad Twichell, P.C.; solo practice (West Fargo, ND)
- 1993-1994: Magistrate Judge, Cass County Court (Fargo, ND)
- 1994: County Judge, Traill, Steele, Nelson & Griggs Counties Court, North Dakota
- 1995-2003: State District Judge, East Central Judicial District Court (Fargo, ND)
- 2003-present: U.S. District Court Judge, District of North Dakota
- Judge Erickson was nominated to the U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota by President George W. Bush and was confirmed by unanimous consent.
- During his time in private practice, Judge Erickson was a trial lawyer and focused on personal injury, workers compensation, and divorce. He also prosecuted for the City of West Fargo, North Dakota.
- In 2004, Judge Erickson presided over North Dakota’s first federal death penalty case, which was also the first death penalty case in North Dakota in over a century.
Biography: Judge Erickson was born in Thief River, Minnesota and grew up in Rugby, North Dakota. He is married and has two daughters.