Google+
Close

The Campaign Spot

Election-driven news and views . . . by Jim Geraghty.

CIA: We Said Benghazi Was a Militant Attack From Day One



Text  



BOOM:

The CIA station chief in Libya reported to Washington within 24 hours of last month’s deadly attack on the U.S. Consulate that there was evidence it was carried out by militants, not a spontaneous mob upset about an American-made video ridiculing Islam’s Prophet Muhammad, U.S. officials have told The Associated Press.

It is unclear who, if anyone, saw the cable outside the CIA at that point and how high up in the agency the information went. The Obama administration maintained publicly for a week that the attack on the diplomatic mission in Benghazi that killed U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans was a result of the mobs that staged less-deadly protests across the Muslim world around the 11th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks on the U.S.

Boy, I’ll bet this comes up on Monday’s foreign-policy debate.

Here is Obama on September 24, during the Univision debate, still saying, “What we do know is that the natural protests that arose because of the outrage over the video were used as an excuse by extremists to see if they can also directly harm U.S. interests.”

Why is the president telling the public something that the CIA is saying is not true, twelve days after the attacks?


Tags: Barack Obama , Libya


Text  


Subscribe to National Review