Happy 100th Day in Office, President Obama!
To celebrate, I thought I would go through all of your promises and statements from the campaign that reached their expiration date during this historic period.
1. “As President I will recognize the Armenian Genocide.”
2. “I will make sure that we renegotiate [NAFTA].“
3. Opposed a Colombian Free Trade Agreement because advocates ignore that “labor leaders have been targeted for assassination on a fairly consistent basis.”
4. “Now, what I’ve done throughout this campaign is to propose a net spending cut.”
5. “If we see money being misspent, we’re going to put a stop to it, and we will call it out and we will publicize it.“
6. “Yesterday, Jim, the head of Caterpillar, said that if Congress passes our plan, this company will be able to rehire some of the folks who were just laid off.”
7. “I want to go line by line through every item in the Federal budget and eliminate programs that don’t work, and make sure that those that do work work better and cheaper.”
8. “[My plan] will not help speculators who took risky bets on a rising market and bought homes not to live in but to sell.”
9. “Instead of allowing lobbyists to slip big corporate tax breaks into bills during the dead of night, we will make sure every single tax break and earmark is available to every American online.”
10. “We can no longer accept a process that doles out earmarks based on a member of Congress’s seniority, rather than the merit of the project.”
11. “If your family earns less than $250,000 a year, you will not see your taxes increased a single dime. I repeat: not one single dime.”
12. “Barack Obama and Joe Biden believe the United States has to be frank with the Chinese about such failings and will press them to respect human rights.”
13. “We must take out Osama bin Laden and his lieutenants if we have them in our sights.”
14. “Lobbyists won’t work in my White House!“
15. “The real gamble in this election is playing the same Washington game with the same Washington players and expecting a different result.”
16. “I’ll make oil companies like Exxon pay a tax on their windfall profits, and we’ll use the money to help families pay for their skyrocketing energy costs and other bills.”
These are only the 16 that I was able to find in my archives over the past 100 days, and I’m sure readers will recall more. But it is important that we remember that this is only the beginning. There is a long road ahead, and many more promises left to break.
UPDATE: And the readers come through!
17. “Obama will not sign any non-emergency bill without giving the American public an opportunity to review and comment on the White House website for five days.” Obama is 1-for-11 on this promise so far.
18. A special one on the 100th day, “the first thing I’d do as President is sign the Freedom of Choice Act. That’s the first thing I’d do.”