Nasrallah in his own words
Israel has made clear its objectives: The return of its kidnapped soldiers and the implementation of UN Security Council Resolution 1559 which called for Hizbullah to be disarmed. As the fight continues, it’s important to understand Hizbullah’s objectives, as well.
- In April 2000, Nasrallah declared his objective to be Israel’s total destruction.
- MEMRI translated a Nasrallah speech here in which the Hizbullah leader describes Israel’s weaknesses.
- Here’s a Nasrallah speech in which he blames current troubles on the failure of Islamists to kill Salman Rushdie.
- And here’s Nasrallah saying his fight is not just with Israel, but with Jews in general.
Diplomats may say it’s always right to engage. Kofi Annan has tried. But Hizbullah’s not a theoretical template that can be wished away.
- Gary Gambill is one of the most talented Lebanon-watchers out there. Here’s his dossier on Nasrallah.