(Thanks to Ali Alfoneh and Omeed Jafari for their assistance in compiling)
- Parliament debates privatization.
- National Bank of the Islamic Republic of Iran asks for permission to issue 100,000 rial bills due to inflation, declining value of the Iranian currency.
- Currency in free-fall because of government adherence to IMF recommendations, Ahmadinejad’s parliamentary faction says.
- Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi looks at Turkey as a model to tame inflation.
- Iran Statistics Office supports Ahmadinejad’s claim that unemployment rate has dropped to 9.9 percent.
- Iran to import 15 million liters of gasoline per day due to refinery shortage.
- Saudi Arabia and Malaysia to build power plants in Iran?
- Head of the Ideological Indoctrination Office of the Iranian Army: “The army should abstain from involvement in politics.”
- Iran and Russia share common perspective on international affairs.
- Foreign Minister Mottaki: “The United States is creating an atmosphere of fear surrounding Iran…U.S. policy makers know what will happen in case of strikes against Iran.” English summary.
- Hamas embraces Supreme Leader’s call for boycott of “collaborating with the U.S.” [in context of Condoleezza Rice’s peace conference].
- Egyptian cleric Yusuf Qaradawi: “It is obligatory on all Muslims to resist any possible attack the U.S. might launch against Iran,” calls for “Jihad.”
- Rafsanjani to publish 12 secret letters exchanged between the Iranian and Iraqi leadership in the months before the 1988 armistice between the two countries.
· Labor news update.
o White House, State Department remain silent on imprisonment, torture of Mansour Osanlou, Iran’s Vahed union head.
· Spokesman of the Iranian Student Association, Advar Tahkim-e Vahdat, condemns arrest of human rights activist Emad al-Din Baqi.
Photo of the Day:
· American delegation visits Iranian vice president in Tehran.
o Is that Condoleezza Rice’s former Policy Planning Iran portfolio head?