(Compiled with the assistance of Ali Alfoneh)
- Interior Minister: “Attempts of the enemy to stop our nuclear program: ‘Rigor Mortis’.”
- Supreme Leader’s designated mouthpiece, Hossein Shariatmadari: “The era of reforms was the era of concessions to the foreigners in the nuclear field.
- Iranian parliamentarian Elias Naderan brushes aside a Saudi proposal: “Iran is not in need of enriched uranium from external sources.”
- Mohammad Kiyarashi, Iran’s former representative at the IAEA: “The United States is defeated by Iran’s clever nuclear stratagem.” but also added: “Some states currently opposing the United States might change their approach if their interests dictate otherwise.”
- Remembering the 1979 U.S. Embassy seizure:
- Hojjat al-Islam Mousavi Khoeini-ha accepts responsibility for storming U.S. embassy in Tehran in 1979.
- Masoumeh Ebtekar, colleague of reformist former President Khatami defends taking U.S. hostages: “It was a rational decision.”
- Ayatollah Mahdavi Kani, former chief of Revolutionary Committees: “Prolongation of the hostage affair was not in Iran’s interest.”
- Outlet close to former IRGC commander Mohsen Rezai: “Every year the presence of official institutions at anti-U.S. demonstrations commemorating the attack against U.S. Den of Espionage [the former U.S. embassy] increases, and presence of voluntary participants decreases.”
- Iranian authorities await the ruling of Interpol on Iranian involvement in 1994 Buenos Aires bombings.
- U.S. and Israel, not Iranian terrorism, to blame for tension with Argentina.
- Bahraini minister of foreign affairs: “British newspaper has misquoted the Crown Prince…We await a visit by Iranian president Ahmadinejad.”
- Ambassador of the Islamic Republic to Baghdad, Hassan Kazemi Qomi: “Iran’s consulate in Erbil to reopen tomorrow.” In English.
- Kucinich proposal to impeach Cheney headlines Iranian press.
- Grand Ayatollah Montazeri, speaking while under house arrest: “Court rulings against university students contrary to Islamic law.”
Economy and Trade
- Central Bank Governor of the Islamic Republic of Iran proposes an eight-point plan to control inflation, pleads: “Take our proposal seriously.”
- World Bank cuts back loans to Iran in response to U.S. sanctions against Iran.
- Iranian car manufacturer Khodro aims to export 600,000 vehicles by 2015.
- Greater Tehran City’s military commander promises a new key of distribution for rationed petrol to “certain” commuters.
- “Reduce consumption” orders Interior Minister in the light of sanctions against Iran.
- Research Center of the Islamic Consultative Assembly [parliament] releases a comprehensive study of the economic performance of Iran during the past Seventeen years.
- Iran, Cuba, and Venezuela to set up joint shipping line?
- Frustration that foreign partners aren’t meeting Iranian expectations in energy sector.
Society, Culture, and Religion
- Punishing adultery by stoning may be revised, says Mohammad-Javad Larijani.
- Iranian police target ‘academic mafia’ selling university degrees.
- Hedayatallah Behboudi, editor of Iranian Historical Studies Quarterly: “The Baha‘i sect is a political grouping… Our studies remove the shroud of ignorance from complicated dealings of this sect with Israel and the United States.”
- Rafsanjani calls for creation of an “Islamic Center of Scientific Studies.”
- “Iranian Air and Space Program guarantees peace and Iran’s national security,” says Defense Minister.
- (Space program provides cover for ballistic missile development)
- Professor Ajab-Shiri-Zadeh: “Iran and Russia to build a $500 million telescope.”
- (Does program provide cover to import sensitive instruments?)
Human Rights and Labor
- Ma’soumeh Mansouri, a student at Tehran’s Amir Kabir Technical University missing after she was arrested by an Iranian security agency.
Photo of the Day