(Thanks to Ali Alfoneh for his assistance compiling)
Politics: March 2008 Parliamentary Elections
- Ahmadinejad calls upon the Iranian youth to prepare for leadership of the entire world.
- Intelligence Minister: “The method of treating [former nuclear negotiator accused of espionage] Mousavian’s case depends on the ruling of the court.”
- Ahmadinejad: “Why do the media want to damage the relationship between the people and the government? Why does the media attack the government relentlessly?”
Economy and Trade
- Semi-official Diplomasi-ye Irani says Larijani is preparing the ground for resumption of normal diplomatic relations between Iran and Egypt.
- Syrian Foreign Minister: “Disruption of Iran-Syria relations is a delusion.”
- Iran and Iraq to hold negotiations over the Shatt al-Arab waterway.
- Sadeq Kharrazi criticizes the Iranian foreign minister’s comments on Iran’s share of the Caspian Sea.
- In an indirect reference to Iranian foreign minister Manouchehr Mottaki’s remarks on Iran’s right to the Caspian Sea, Etemaad publishes an article on the “lost waters of Iran.”
- For background, see December 31, 2007 Iran News Round Up.
- A female terrorist of the Kurdish PEJAK infiltrates the Revolutionary Guards garrison of Maku, throws a hand grenade and commits suicide.
- Heshmat-Allah Falahat-Pisheh, member of the National Security and Foreign Policy Committee of the Iranian parliament: “Russia expects us to suspend enrichment of uranium.”
Religion, Culture, and Society
- Member of the Cultural Affairs Committee of the Iranian parliament, Fatemeh Alia: “Anchors at Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting propagate indecent dress for women.”
- Supreme Council of the Cultural Revolution to decide whether Iran should allow Multimedia Messaging Services (MMS).
Photo of the Day
- Greeting the Supreme Leader in Yazd.