(E) signifies English link
Photo of the Day
Human Rights and Labor
- Iranian teenager Mohammad-Reza Haddadi to be hanged for accepting legal responsibility for a murder when he was 15 years old.
Military and Security
Religion, Culture, and Society
- History professor Hashem Aghajari wonders what society has truly managed to make people more pious by forcing them to wear hijab.
- The Iranian parliament discusses the “problems and hazards of super fast internet.”
- Grand Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi urges students at the Elmiyyeh Theological Seminary in Qom against “Those who minimize the role of the clergy. They are badly wrong and, in an Islamic country, nothing can be done without theological seminaries, sources of emulation and men of wisdom… If the clergy were not present at the frontline during the war and did not preach the religious truth, victory would not have been achieved. The theological seminaries must fight against innovations, mysticism and false claimants of a relationship with the Imam of the Era – of whom there unfortunately is many…”
- Head of the Islamic Republic National Heritage and Tourism Organization Esfandiar Rahim Mashayee, speaking at a conference on the best tourist sites of Iran, says “Tourism is a political act and has political consequences… Tourism is like a security barometer of a country…the number of foreign tourists to Iran has reached 2 millions…this victory in the field of tourism is not my victory, or the victory of anyone else in the [Tourism] organization. It is the promise of God and a divine victory…I believe that Cyrus [the Great, founder of the Persian Empire] in the history of Iran is not accidental. It is the investment of God [in the Iranian tourism sector].”
- Speaking with Venezuelan foreign minister, Ahmadinejad says “international conditions are changing to the benefit of Iran and Venezuela… Anti-imperialist waves are spreading throughout the world ever more violently and we must direct the new conditions to the benefit of the nations of the world…Iran-Venezuela cooperation can serve as a role model for bilateral relations in anti-imperialist struggle…”
- (E) Tehran Times jumps on anti-Palin bandwagon.
- (E) Opposition within Iran to any U.S. office in Iran.