The Washington Post reports on Obama’s likely pick for Holder’s second in command:
The White House will nominate James Cole as deputy attorney general later Friday, filling a slot that has been vacant for months, a source with knowledge of the appointment says.
Cole is a former DOJ lawyer and member of Bill Clinton’s transition team. He’s now in private practice. Care for a few CV highlights?
– Appointed as the Independent Consultant for American International Group, Inc., to exam its transactions and oversee the revision of its corporate compliance and financial disclosure policies
– Appointed Special Counsel to the House Ethics Committee for its investigation of Speaker Newt Gingrich
– Counseled Arthur Andersen in its efforts to revamp its document management and compliance procedures after the Enron related events were uncovered
– Represented the Chief Risk Officer of Enron
– Served as lead defense counsel in United States v. Edwin Edwards (former Governor of Louisiana)
– Represented individuals and companies in the health care field concerning disputes concerning billing fraud and abuse and FDA regulatory issues
– Represented individuals and entities in campaign finance investigation.
AIG, Enron, the Gingrich crusade, campaign finance, health care, and Edwin Edwards? Should be fun.