On his website, Glenn Beck has published a “challenge” for pundits, politicians, and people in general. Decrying political opportunism of all stripes, Beck writes of the Giffords shooting, “Atheists are not to blame. Those who hate George W. Bush are not to blame. Those who don’t believe in space travel are not to blame. Jared Lee Loughner is to blame. Period.”
Later, Beck unveils his challenge. He asks all Americans to agree to the following points:
- I denounce violence, regardless of ideological motivation.
- I denounce anyone, from the Left, the Right or middle, who believes physical violence is the answer to whatever they feel is wrong with our country.
- I denounce those who wish to tear down our system and rebuild it in their own image, whatever that image may be.
- I denounce those from the Left, the Right or middle, who call for riots and violence as an opportunity to bring down and reconstruct our system.
- I denounce violent threats and calls for the destruction of our system – regardless of their underlying ideology – whether they come from the Hutaree Militia or Frances Fox Piven.
- I hold those responsible for the violence, responsible for the violence. I denounce those who attempt to blame political opponents for the acts of madmen.
- I denounce those from the Left, the Right or middle that sees violence as a viable alternative to our long established system of change made within the constraints of our constitutional Republic.
Read more of Beck’s letter here.