Well, at least I have something in common with Anne Hathaway: I’m not nominated this year, either. But just to show you I’m not a sore loser, I’ll be sharing my dog-in-the-manger thoughts with you this evening.
- Liked the opening homage to the Ten Best Pictures a lot. We are so clever in Hollywood, especially when we can sample other guys’ movies. I might have even watched The Kids Are All Right and Toy Story 3 if Anne had been in either one.
- Inception wins for cinematography. A harbinger or an outlier? Personally, I’m with Alec Baldwin: I couldn’t follow it either, but I realize that Chris Nolan is way smarter than I am, so maybe I’d better watch it again. Especially if there’s something in there I can steal later.
- Kirk Douglas — now there’s a movie star. I am Spartacus! There were movie stars in them days.
- Best Supporting Actress: Melissa Leo. Great choice: the spitting sight and sound of half my Boston relatives. And up against some pretty stiff competition, including Amy Adams and little Hailee Steinfeld — who should have been up for Best Actress. I mean, there’s no True Grit without the main character, right?
- Whoops! They bleeped Melissa. It’s the young and hip Oscars!
I don’t do cartoons, so back in a bit. My seat will be taken by a warmer while I’m out on Hollywood Boulevard, having a smoke or whatever.