Update 4:40 p.m.: The latest reports out of Barcelona indicate that, in addition to the 13 people killed in the ISIS attack, 80 people have been injured, 15 of whom are in serious condition. Forty-two people have been described as having mild injuries. Two people have been arrested, and there are reports that another possible suspect has been killed in a shootout with the police.
Update 3:35 p.m.: The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the terror attack in Barcelona that took the lives of at least 13 people. Meanwhile, there have been separate reports that a driver ran over two police officers at a checkpoint in Barcelona. It is not yet clear how this event was connected to the earlier attack.
Update 3:00 p.m.: Spanish media report that a suspect involved in the Barcelona attack has been killed in a shootout with police just outside the city.
Update 2:26 p.m.: The Associated Press is reporting that a Catalan official says 13 people were killed in the Barcelona attack, and more than 50 were injured. Regional police also dismissed early reports that suggested attackers were holed up in a bar near Las Ramblas.
Update 1:56 p.m.: Spanish public broadcaster RTVE reports that one suspect has been arrested.
Update 1:42 p.m.: Reuters reports that local authorities have found a second van, possibly connected to the terror attack, north of Barcelona.
Update 1:27 p.m.: According to local news source El Pais, the van used in the attack had been rented by a man named Driss Oukabir:
El Pais: The van used in the BCN attack had been rented by a man named Driss Oukabir pic.twitter.com/QN24lvqZ81— Natasha Bertrand (@NatashaBertrand) August 17, 2017
Update 1:16 p.m.: According to The Telegraph, police have set up roadblocks around Barcelona amid reports that a second van might be involved in the attack.
Update 1:08 p.m.: Barcelona authorities have reported that there has been at least one fatality, with another 32 people injured, ten of whom are in serious condition.
Update 12:45 p.m.: Barcelona police have confirmed that there have been fatalities and injuries. Here’s an image from BBC of the driver’s path through pedestrians:
Update 12:20 p.m.: Spanish media report that two gunmen are holed up in a Barcelona bar near the location of the crash. Fox News has reported that hostages are being held. Police are searching for the suspected driver, who fled on foot. The entire area has been cordoned off by law enforcement, and local transportation systems have been shut down.
Breaking 12:00 p.m.: Someone has driven a van into a crowd of pedestrians in a plaza in central Barcelona, the Las Ramblas district. Reports indicate that there were extensive injuries and at least two deaths. Police on the scene have described it as a “massive crash.”
Reporters on the scene say that the suspected driver of the van was seen fleeing on foot after crashing into dozens of people. Spanish police say they are treating the incident as a terror attack.
The El Pais newspaper report that at least one person had died, 20 were injured.
From The Telegraph’s report on the incident:
Aamer Anwar was walking down Las Ramblas at the time, which he said was “jam-packed” with tourists.
He told Sky News: “All of a sudden, I just sort of heard a crashing noise and the whole street just started to run, screaming. I saw a woman right next to me screaming for her kids.
“Police were very, very quickly there, police officers with guns, batons, everywhere. Then the whole street started getting pushed back.”
This post will be updated as events develop.