The U.S. Embassy in Jakarta has issued the following “Notice to Americans” with a terror warning from the governor of Bali (emphasis mine):
U.S. Embassy Jakarta
U.S. Consulate General Surabaya
U.S. Consulate Medan
Warden Message: Bali Warning
December 31, 2009
The Bali Tourism Board widely distributed this message: “The Governor of Bali Mr. Mangku Pastika wishes to share a message with all of us: ‘There is an indication of an attack to Bali tonight,’ but please don’t panic, but put your security system to full alert.” This message is shared verbatim for your information. The safety and security recommendations in our Consular Information Sheet, quoted below, remain valid.
“Indonesian police and security forces take active measures against both ongoing threats posed by terrorist cells, including Jemaah Islamiyah (JI), a U.S. government-designated terrorist organization that carried out several bombings at various times from 2002 to 2009 and outbreaks of violence elsewhere. While Indonesia’s counterterrorism efforts have been ongoing and partly successful, violent elements have demonstrated a willingness and ability to carry out deadly attacks with little or no warning. Most recently, in November 2009, unknown assailants shot at foreigners in Banda Aceh, North Sumatra, an area that was devastated by the 2004 tsunami and the scene of a long-running separatist conflict that ended in 2005. The gunfire wounded a European development worker. A house occupied by U.S. citizen teachers was targeted and hit by gunfire, but there were no U.S. citizen casualties. In July 2009, attacks by armed assailants in Papua resulted in several deaths, including security personnel and one Australian national. Also in July, suspected JI elements bombed two Western hotels in Jakarta, killing nine Indonesians and foreigners and injuring over 50, including six U.S. citizens. U.S. citizens in Indonesia must be physically and mentally prepared to cope with future attacks even as they go about their normal daily routines.
The rest here.
The governor of Bali, however, denies ever issuing such a statement either “in writing or verbally.” BBC:
There is confusion over a warning issued by the US embassy in Indonesia of a possible New Year’s Eve terror attack on the resort island of Bali.
On its website, the US embassy quoted the island’s governor as saying there was an “indication” of an attack.
However a spokesman from the governor’s office told Reuters news agency the governor had made no such statement.
Several bombings have targeted Westerners in Bali, with more than 200 killed in attacks in 2002 and 2005.
The US embassy warning quoted a message from the Bali governor, Mangku Pastika, who said that there was an “indication” of an attack on Bali on Thursday night.
The message added that people should not panic, but that security systems should be put on “full alert”.
But Putu Suardika, head of public relations at the office of the Bali governor, denied that such a statement had been made, either in “writing or verbally”.
He said that Bali, the scene of bomb attacks in the past, had to remain “on alert”.