I think more news people should do this, as well as all politicians who go on the air. Take the Hollywood fakery out of our journalism. And as far as Couric goes, she looks better without makeup, no?
NBC’s David Gregory is off the hook for showing a high-capacity gun magazine on “Meet the Press” and will not be prosecuted, D.C.’s attorney general announced on Friday.
D.C. attorney general Irvin Nathan on Friday said he would decline to prosecute in the case involving the Sunday show host and any NBC staffers. In a letter to NBC’s attorney Lee Levine, Nathan wrote that after reviewing the matter, his office “has determined to exercise its prosecutorial discretion to decline to bring criminal charges against Mr. Gregory, who has no criminal record, or any other NBC employee based on the events associated” with the broadcast.
The office made its decision “despite the clarity of the violation of this important law, because under all of the circumstances here a prosecution would not promote public safety in the District of Columbia nor serve the best interests of the people of the District to whom this office owes its trust.”
In summary, he’s totally guilty but we don’t want to prosecute him because we don’t want to, so there.
Wonder how this news sits with the Muppets on MSNBC? Bloomberg:
NBC Sports is sticking with its commitment to sponsor the largest U.S. gun trade show next week, a month after an elementary-school shooting in Connecticut killed 20 children.
NBC Sports Network will remain the 2013 SHOT Show New Product Center Sponsor, said Greg Hughes, a spokesman for the channel. One of NBC’s marquee broadcasters, Bob Costas, criticized gun laws weeks before the Connecticut shooting, after the murder-suicide of a Kansas City Chiefs football player.
The National Shooting Sports Foundation Inc.’s SHOT Show last year billed itself as “more than about selling and buying; it’s a powerful display of industry unity and its resolve to meet any challenge affecting the right to make, sell and own firearms.” The NSSF is headquartered in Newtown, Connecticut, where a gunman killed 20 children and six adults in an elementary school on Dec. 14 with a semiautomatic rifle.
NBC Sports Network, formerly called Versus, has been a sponsor of the show for “several years,” according to Hughes. The cable channel airs hunting and fishing shows and participates as a sponsor “as part of our commitment to our outdoor-programming block,” Hughes said in a telephone interview.
The SHOT Show takes place from Jan. 15 to Jan. 18 in Las Vegas at the Sands Expo & Convention Center. SHOT stands for Shooting Hunting Outdoor Trade.
NSSF President Steve Sanetti said he had never seen the organization “so unified and united” in its purpose, according to a January 2012 statement. The group is a member of the White House panel that’s discussing gun regulations.
Not with new gun control laws, but with common sense.
According to CNN, the alleged shooter, a 16-year-old, used a shotgun he took from his brother and entered his high school late, through a side entrance.
At what point does the big conversation on guns turn to a) people who own guns storing them responsibly and b) schools that have yet to learn the lessons of the past. Access to a school needs to be restricted. The NRA not only proposed armed guards for districts that wanted them, but suggested greater security measures at schools. If anyone can enter a side entrance of a school — with or without a shotgun — the building is not secure.
Thank you for participating in We the People to speak out on an issue that matters to you.
Let’s not let arguments over the Constitution’s Second Amendment violate the spirit of its First. President Obama believes that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to bear arms. However, the Constitution not only guarantees an individual right to bear arms, but also enshrines the freedom of speech and the freedom of the press — fundamental principles that are essential to our democracy. Americans may disagree on matters of public policy and express those disagreements vigorously, but no one should be punished by the government simply because he or she expressed a view on the Second Amendment — or any other matter of public concern.
We recognize that the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut, sparked an intense, and at times emotional, national conversation about the steps we can take as a country to reduce gun violence. In fact, your petition is one of many on the issue, and President Obama personally responded by sharing his views on this important issue.
Yesterday morning, the still shell shocked staff at Current TV was called to an all hands staff meeting at its San Francisco headquarters, which was teleconferenced to their offices in LA and NYC, to meet their new bosses.
That would be two of Al Jazeera’s top guys: Ehab Al Shihabi, executive director of international operations, and Muftah AlSuwaidan, general manager of the London bureau.
Ominously missing was the creator of Current, the self proclaimed inventor of the Internet and savior of clean energy, Al Gore, although his partner, Joel Hyatt, stood proudly with the Al Jazeera honchos.
“Of course Al didn’t show up,” said one high placed Current staffer. “He has no credibility.
And this:
How do they feel about Gore the savior of green energy now?
The displeasure with Gore among the staff was thick enough to cut with a scimitar.
“We all know now that Al Gore is nothing but a bulls***ter,” said the staffer bluntly.
Al Jazeera’s announced plans to establish a new U.S. cable news channel via the purchase of Current TV isn’t even 48 hours old and already it finds itself in a vicious battle to retain distribution rights.
Al Jazeera’s acquisition of Current TV is basically a pay-for-distribution play. The Qatar-backed network plans to replace Current TV in the more than 40 million homes where it is currently distributed with its own news network, tentatively dubbed Al Jazeera America. The new network’s success is predicated on maintaining, if not increasing, that level of distribution.
One person with knowledge of cable TV deals said pay-TV operators will definitely seek more favorable terms from Al Jazeera since, “no one wanted to carry Current TV and they want to carry an Al Jazeera channel even less.”
For instance upon learning of deal, which closed on Wednesday, Time Warner Cable immediately said that it would terminate its contract with Current TV, meaning its customers would not be seeing the new network to be named Al Jazeera America.
On Thursday, however, the company, which ranks as the nation’s second largest cable provider with 12 million subscribers, walked back from that stance a bit.
“We are keeping an open mind, and as the service develops, we will evaluate whether it makes sense, for our customers, to launch the network,” Time Warner Cable said in a statement.
. . . in 2011, there was 323 murders committed with a rifle but 496 murders committed with hammers and clubs.
While the FBI makes is clear that some of the “murder by rifle” numbers could be adjusted up slightly, when you take into account murders with non-categorized types of guns, it does not change the fact that their annual reports consistently show more lives are taken each year with these blunt objects than are taken with Feinstein’s dreaded rifle.
Another interesting fact: According to the FBI, nearly twice as many people are killed by hands and fists each year than are killed by murderers who use rifles.
The bottom line: A rifle ban is as illogical as it is unconstitutional. We face far greater danger from individuals armed with carpenters’ tools and a caveman’s stick.
LANSING — Former Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm has announced she will soon be leaving Current TV and her public affairs program “The War Room” following the purchase of the cable network by Al Jazeera, the pan-Arab news giant financed by the government of Qatar.
“We were told today that Al Jazeera is the buyer for Current TV,” Granholm said in a posting on her Facebook page late Wednesday.
“My agreement with Current was for the duration of the election (and the sale). It has been a very fun adventure; we are blessed with a wonderful team. We’ll continue to broadcast The War Room for the next few weeks through the transition, but after that I’ll be going back to teaching, speaking and other things.”
Via The Blaze, al-Jazeera will reportedly buy Al Gore’s Current TV for $500 million.
And The Blaze is also reporting that they approached Current last year to buy the network, but were “rebuffed” and told “the legacy of who the network goes to is important to us and we are sensitive to networks not aligned with our point of view.”
Well, I’m glad Al Gore has found a buyer aligned with his point of view.
I really don’t know how bad Hillary’s health news is, but her blood clot — a transverse sinus thrombosis — is an incredibly dangerous condition. Yet the MSM as a whole seems content to simply repeat the short statement her doctors made saying they expect her to fully recover:
But Parker is taking a cheap shot at conservatives. The skepticism that greeted the concussion story arose not from partisan nastiness but from Clinton’s flamboyant history of lying.
There’s also the simple fact that we still don’t know anything about Clinton’s concussion. We don’t know the date it occurred, if she was admitted to a hospital, what treatment was prescribed, etc. When the concussion story was first reported, we didn’t hear from her doctor, but CNN, for example, was quick to grant anonymity to a “senior State Department official” who said the concussion was “not severe.”
It’s not just that Clinton has a history of lying, it’s that all the information that’s been put out to date has been to downplay whatever is wrong with her.
Last night conservatives who once questioned the Hillary Clinton concussion story were taking some heat on Twitter after Clinton’s people released a statement that she was hospitalized for treatment of a blood clot. Of course, the instant lefty-medical experts had their smoking gun: concussion=blood clot!
Fast forward to this morning where right-wing conspiracy sites such as The Daily Beast (that I linked to on The Feed earlier today) and NBC News are daring to question Hillary’s condition. Politico reports on the NBC conspiracists:
The top science reporter for NBC News raised questions Monday about Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s hospitalization, raising the possibility the blood clot causing isn’t linked to an earlier concussion.
“It’s not exactly clear what is happening with Secretary Clinton’s health,” NBC News chief science and health correspondent Robert Bazell said.
“All we have is a statement from her office. The hospital isn’t saying anything and the statement from her [office] says that she had this blood clot that stemmed from the concussion and she’s being treated with blood-thinning drugs,” Bazell continued. “The problem is that usually when blood clots come from concussions, they can’t be treated with blood [thinners.] So either it’s not really related to the concussion and she’s got a blood clot in her leg or something, or there’s something else going on that we’re not being told. And right now, we’re just sort of seeking that clarification and hoping for the best as she’s being observed.”
Earlier I wrote on The Feed, “What’s really wrong with her doesn’t much matter — from a political point of view — at this point. On a personal note, however, here’s hoping it’s nothing too serious,” but I want to amend that a little.
There is a chance that Clinton’s health problems preceded the election, and that should have been disclosed. Another open question — if she did have health problems prior to the election — did Team Obama keep them quiet to help run out the clock on the Benghazi investigation prior to the election day?
I guess the Secret Service doesn’t care that Gregory is under investigation for violating D.C.’s gun laws. And maybe Gregory can ask the president about the White House petition to have him charged for violating said gun laws?
On last Sunday’s Meet the Press, David Gregory brought a 30-round clip that that he said fit a rifle similar to the one used in the Sandy Hook Massacre. A clip — such as the one brandished by Gregory on TV — is illegal in the District of Columbia, where Meet the Press is filmed. A petition on the White House website to press charges against Gregory has collected almost 12,000 signatures so far, with 13,000 to go to force President Obama to respond.
Reports are that NBC consulted the Metropolitan Police department before going on air and learned it would be illegal to possess the clip, but Gregory went ahead and used it as a prop anyway. The Corner has been discussing the illegality of what Gregory did, as well as Gregory’s defenders — like CNN’s Howard Kurtz — who dismissed what Gregory did because he wasn’t acting with any ill will.
Anyway, the entire episode is a perfect example of the MSM’s desire to enact tough gun-control laws, but when one of their own breaks one of these tough gun control laws, a new set of rules must apply to the lawbreaker.
Funny. Someone has started a petition on the White House website to:
Deport British Citizen Piers Morgan for Attacking 2nd Amendment
British Citizen and CNN television host Piers Morgan is engaged in a hostile attack against the U.S. Constitution by targeting the Second Amendment. We demand that Mr. Morgan be deported immediately for his effort to undermine the Bill of Rights and for exploiting his position as a national network television host to stage attacks against the rights of American citizens.
Only about 10,000 signatures to go until the Team Obama has to answer.