From the New York Times:
Israeli officials announced on Sunday the arrest of two Palestinian teenagers from this village in the northernWest Bank who they said were responsible for the killing of five members of the Fogel family in the neighboring Jewish settlement of Itamar last month.
Israeli security officials said that the two suspects, ages 17 and 18, had confessed and carried out a reconstruction of the attack….
The investigation was carried out jointly by the Israeli military, the Shin Bet internal security agency and the police. But there were variations in some of the details of the investigation from the different bodies.
The Shin Bet said in a statement that the two suspects, a high school pupil and a first-year student at The Open University, were identified with a Palestinian leftist militant group, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, although it was not clear whether the organization had any role in the attack.
The Shin Bet emphasized that the attack had been planned and that days before the suspects had tried to obtain a gun through a Popular Front member in Awarta who refused to help.
But Col. Nimrod Aloni, the Israeli Army’s regional commander of the northern West Bank who led the investigation on behalf of the military, said in a conference call with reporters that the killings did not seem planned and that the suspects were not connected to any organization. He said that he believed they had wanted to enter a settlement as a test of courage and to steal weapons.