(Thanks to Ali Alfoneh for his assistance in compiling)
Economy and Trade
“Statistics of the past year and half show that the major part of Germany’s exports to Iran has been through the [United Arab] Emirates, therefore, we believe that there has been no reduction in trade relations between Germany and Iran. Pointing at Four Billion [U.S.] Dollars [worth of] exports to Iran through the Emirates during the past year, he refused any claim of decrease in Iran-German trades and said: Direct trade exchanges between the two countries through the past year and half has evolved into trade per middleman and German machinery enters Iran through the Emirates. Therefore I stress the fact that Germany still is Iran’s trade partner. Honsowitz added: At present time the Economic Affairs Section of the German Embassy is working on taking the necessary measures to preserve and improve economic relations between the private sector in Germany and Iran. In addition to this, the German Chamber [of Commerce] in Iran and Iran’s Chamber [of Commerce] in Germany are planning for necessary measures in support of economic actors.”
- Deputy Commander of Basij Resistance Force, Seyyed Majid Mir-Ahmadi: “Nations and countries who want to preserve their independence and export the message of their revolution to the world – thereby challenging ‘World Imperialism’ – need to be prepared and deter the enemy.”
- The Islamic Republic begins a week of celebration of the Basij Militia.
- Commander Bahman Kargar of the Islamic Republic’s Law Enforcement Forces suggests commemoration of the day of Ahmadinejad’s speech at Columbia University as “The Day of National Myth” in the official calendar of the Islamic Republic.
- Partov-e Sokhan, mouth piece of hard line Ayatollah Mesbah Yazdi hails Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s threats of “uncovering nuclear spies” and “economic corruption.”
- Head of Strategic Studies Center of Discernment Council, Hasan Rowhani indirectly attacks Ahmadinejad: “With spread of superstition, accusations and slogans alone, we will not achieve our goals…Three or four people don’t make a good advisory team, broader consensus is needed to improve our foreign policy.”
- Partov-e Sokan, mouthpiece of Mesbah Yazdi: “Council of Guardians should thoroughly scrutinize candidates (.pdf) for the parliamentary elections.”
- Iranian parliamentarians protest against “narrowing the room for criticizing the government” without being accused of “Velvet Revolutionaries.”
Photo of the Day