(Thanks to Ali Alfoneh for his assistance in compiling)
Economy and Trade
- Ali Asgari, parliamentarian: “The real rate of inflation is around 23 or 24 percent.”
- Davoud Danesh Jafari, minister of economy: “Privatization of banks and insurance companies to begin soon.”
- Tehran and Beijing reaffirm petroleum exports to China in 2008.
- Deputy Oil Minister: “Bidding process for exploration of oil in Dasht-e Moghan, Ardebil province (northwest Iran, near Caspian), to begin soon.”
- Iran’s largest steel producer, Foulad-e Mobarakeh to be privatized tomorrow.
- Ukraine to import Iranian cars?
- Bribery scandal involving European oil firms doing business in Iran?
- Ahmadinejad: “My only mission is to connect the people to the Imam of Time.”
- Seyyed Hossein Mousavi Tabrizi, supreme public prosecutor in the 1980′s, reacts to Friday prayers leader of Mashhad who supports active intervention of the Basij militia in politics: “Political intervention of he armed force splits the armed forces.”
- Hossein Shariatmadari, editor of Kayhan (the mouthpiece of the Supreme Leader) , attacks both named and unnamed Iranian political activists and intellectuals as “agents of Israel, the CIA…” and connects them to the reform movement inside Iran, including former presidents Rafsanjani and Khatami.
- Rahmani Fazli, former member of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council: “My resignation from the council was a voluntary act.”
Society, Culture, and Religion
- Iranian Navy to conduct war games in February.
- Basij nilitia reported to have 415,000 members in Kordestan [Kurdistan] province.
- “Good news about Iran’s defense technology to be announced soon.” says Iran’s minister of defense and armed force logistics.
- Commander in Chief of the Revolutionary Guards: “Insight into the importance of the Basij deters the enemy.”
Picture of the Day