(Thanks to Ali Alfoneh for his assistance in compiling)
- Former foreign minister Ali Akbar Velayati: “The National Intelligence Estimate will not change our strategic approach.”
- Rashid Jalali Ja’fari, member of the National Security and Foreign Policy Committee of the Iranian parliament: “[After the publication of] The National Security Estimate… there no longer is any ground for a third round of sanctions against Iran.”
- Ali Larijani, former secretary of Supreme National Security Council of the Islamic Republic: “The National Intelligence Estimate shows that Iran has chosen the right strategy.”
- Tabnak’s analysis of the National Intelligence Estimate: “The report shows that the Bush-administration has been forced to change strategy towards Iran… But the fact that the document is very unclear serves the purpose of providing the administration with a means of interpreting it the way it pleases.”
Economics and Trade
- “Strengthening national unity is the way to achieve international objectives,” says Velayati.
Religion, Society, and Culture
- Ayatollah Nouri Hamedani attacks moderate Sufi leaders.
- The Special Court of Clergy to judge the reformist religious thinker Hadi Qabel soon.
- Ansar-e Hezbollah vigilante group demonstrate in front of Cafe Fenjoun in Tehran, claiming the cafe is involved in “prostitution and wounding the religious sentiments of the public.”
- Referencing the teddy bear named Muhammad in the Sudan, Ayatollah Lotfi Golpayegani: “The enemy is trying to annihilate our religion by assassinating the character of our Prophet.”
- Government demolishes 2,200-year-old bridge.
Human Rights and Labor
- Twenty years old Makvan Moloud-Zadeh, convicted of rape at the age of 13, executed in the prison of Kermanshah, despite the fact that families of the rape victims have witnessed that Moloud-Zadeh’s relation with another boy had been “mutually consensual,” and his that confessions were forced under torture. Human Rights Watch believes Moloud-Zadeh has been executed because he is homosexual.
Picture of the Day
- Ahmadinejad speaks to families of martyrs in Ilam.