(Thanks to Ali Alfoneh for his assistance in compiling)
- Both analysts and public opinion not convinced of the NIE’s conclusions.
Economy and Trade
- Russian gas company GAZPROM to expand activities in Iran.
- Despite investments in Peugeot, Citroen and Renault assembly plants in the Islamic Republic, France might expand sanctions against Iran, says Tabnak.
- China to triple oil imports from Iran.
- Russia-Iran trade doubles.
- Iran inaugurates two large mining and industrial projects in Syria.
- The Iranian parliament proposes one percent of oil and gas export should be set aside for villages.
- Aftab-e Yazd quotes American Enterprise Institute’s estimate of foreign investments in the Islamic Republic, but refers to Reuters.
- Mohsen Rezai, former IRGC head and current Supreme Leader advisor, supports military’s participation in economic and infrastructural activities.
- Details on IRGC’s economic activities, here.
- Medical equipments importers fear further sanctions against the Islamic Republic.
- Zero interest loans to be granted to the Iranian public upon presidential request.
- Mohammad Khosh-Chehreh, member of the parliament’s Economic Affairs Committee: “The United States will use economic sanctions to coerce Iran.”
- Adds: “The ministry of economy and the banking system have worsened the inflation crisis.”
- National Bank: “Inflation almost 17 percent.”
- Rafsanjani: “It would be such a pity if we remain underdeveloped despite high oil prices.”
Religion, Culture, and Society
- Smoking water pipes in public declared illegal in the Islamic Republic.
- Commenting on Dutch secular activist Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Kayhan writes “Skirt-dressed Salman Rushdie demands destruction of Islam by force!”
Human Rights and Labor
- Ali Mihan-Torabi to be executed for a crime he committed at the age of 16.
- Khatami promises to do his utmost to free imprisoned human rights and civil society activist Emad al-Din Baghi.
- Ministry of Intelligence informs the National Security Committee of the Iranian parliament about the plight of arrested students.
Photo of the Day