(Thanks to Ali Alfoneh for his assistance in compiling)
- Ali Akbar Velayati, former Foreign Minister and Current Advisor to the Supreme Leader: “One should not be optimistic when it comes to the prospects of Iran-U.S. relations.”
- Velayati: ”The U.S. faces fiasco in the Middle East. American policies have been defeated.”
- Hojjat al-Eslam Zolnour, representative of the Supreme Leader in the Revolutionary Guards, criticizes Khatami’s foreign policy before a crowd of Basij Resistance Force members.
- Foreign Minister Mottaki: ”Expansion of relations with Russia is our strategy.”
- Ahmadinejad heads to Mecca on Sunday.
- Public opinion supports rapprochement between the Islamic Republic and Egypt.
Religion, Culture, and Society:
Economy and Trade
- President inaugurates new bank.
- Iranian-assembled and Syrian-manufactured Pride automobile enters the market.
- The Islamic Republic takes a leading position in production of an “Islamic Automobile,” based on cooperation between various Muslim countries.
- Iran, Turkey sign trade pact.
- Mount Damavand shows volcanic activity.
- (Mt. Damavand is Iran’s tallest mountain, in the Alburz range; can be seen from Tehran on clear days).
Human Rights and Labor
- Iran-FIFA dispute over politicization of football organization in Iran.
Photo of the Day