[(E) signifies English link]
- Ayatollah Emami Kashani, speaking at Friday prayers, says “nuclear energy is the scientific face of our country, [it is] a university matter.”
- Agah-Sazi publishes translation of reports on the Iranian Nuclear Energy Organization’s attempt to produce 90 percent highly enriched uranium.
- Former intelligence minister Ali Fallahian (and current member of Assembly of Experts): “Supporting the ninth government [Ahmadinejad's] and its achievements is a necessity…the government must state its track record and defend its programs…”
- Vice president Rahimi refutes allegations of attempting to bribe parliamentarians to abstain from impeaching interior minister Ali Kordan. Rahimi also adds MP Heydari had demanded 100,000,000 Rials to support Kordan, and not the 50,000,000 that the government is accused of having tried to bribe the parliamentarians with.
- Grand Ayatollah Montazeri urges the reformists to run for president with a single candidate.
- Khatami says he has serious doubts about running for president, adds that one can’t run a country with slogans alone.
- Sarmayeh quotes Colonel Mohammad-Ali Shoja’e Heydaim head of the political and elections bureau of Kerman General Governorate: “The unknown soldiers of the Imam of the Era [the special operation forces] preserve the Ahmadinejad government…Ahmadinejad is the apogee of goodness and propagator of virtues. Therefore, the Imam of the Era is smiling. This [the Ahmainejad government] is the reason behind happiness of the Imam of the Era.”
- Political and Elections deputy interior minister says he works “for the state, not for the Ahmadinejad campaign.”
- E’temad Melli claims it has caught the government making an unauthorized 30,000,000 billion rial withdrawal from the foreign exchange reserve.
- Parliamentarians question agriculture minister about lack of self-sufficiency in cereal production.
- Ahmadinejad to appear in parliament Sunday to present his economic reform scheme which would convert subsidies into cash transfers and oil dividends.
- Now-Andish discloses budget deficit of the Education Ministry.
Religion, Culture, and Soceity
Military and Security
- Eraghi, chief of the Mohammad Rasoul-Allah IRGC Unit of Greater Tehran, reports a comprehensive Basij operation in Tehran to improve security in cooperation with the city police, the Law Enforcement Forces, police stations and judicial authorities.
- Bar Association and the Journalist Association to soon have their own Basij cells.
Human Rights and Labor
Photo of the Day