[(E) signifies English link]
- In the last issue of Shahrvand-e Emrouz, since banned, Mohammad Qouchani laments weaknesses of the Iranian political system:
- 1. Iranians suffer from lack of professional politicians. All our politicians desire to display themselves as men of piety who hate power, but in practice, they crave it…
- 2. Iranians flee party political activity…
- 3. Iranians fear disagreements. They prefer to be of the same opinion as each other than express an opinion conflicting with opinion of others…
- 4. Iranian politicians are generalists… They love to talk about philosophy rather than comment on road building in Northern Iran, or about the arrest of a journalist…
- 5. Iranian politicians have a very good memory, which is a weakness…they think more about past grudges than compromises paving the road to a brighter future…”
- Acting Interior Minister Sadeq Mahsouli faces allegations that he acquired “fabulous wealth” through “speculation.”
- Moetalefeh spokesman Badamchian says ousted Interior Minister Ali Kordan was ready to resign, but Ahmadinejad demanded he serve until impeachment.
- Ayatollah Amjad says those involved Kordan’s impeachment are “sinners.”
- Mohammad Hashemi Rafsanjani, brother of the former president, announces his candidacy for president.
- Ahmadinejad travels to Mashhad to attend Imam Reza Cultural Festival, and plans trip to Mazandaran.
- Grand Ayatollah Sane’i says Obama’s victory is the result of party political activity and the success of U.S. political life.
- Parliamentary Speaker Ali Larijani prohibits parliamentarians from delivering interviews to “counterrevolutionary Persian-language media.”
- (E) Duhok, Barzani-led city in Iraqi Kurdistan, hosts Iranian trade fair.
- (E) 13th meeting of China-Iran Joint Economic Commission.
Military and Security
Religion, Culture, and Society
Photo of the Day