Evidently, the Obama administration’s idea of solving the problem of what is being called “theft” of U.S. weapons by Islamic supremacists in Libya is simply to give weapons to Islamic supremacists in Syria. The reality, of course, is that once Obama embarked on his unauthorized and unprovoked war in Libya, the arming of jihadists became inevitable, as did atrocities like the Benghazi massacre. And now, urged on by bipartisan Beltway clerisy, we are poised to repeat the calamity. Kudos to Fox, not only for this significant reporting but also for stating the detail Washington likes to omit: The Muslim Brotherhood — not moderate and not peace-loving — is among the jihadist organizations grabbing U.S. weapons. According to Fox’s Adam Housley:
EXCLUSIVE: The recent theft of massive amounts of highly sensitive U.S. military equipment from Libya is far worse than previously thought, Fox News has learned, with raiders swiping hundreds of weapons that are now in the hands of militia groups aligned with terror organizations and the Muslim Brotherhood.
The equipment, as Fox News previously reported, was used for training in Libya by U.S. Special Forces. The training team, which was funded by the Pentagon, has since been pulled, partly in response to the overnight raids last August.
According to State Department and military sources, dozens of highly armored vehicles called GMV’s, provided by the United States, are now missing. The vehicles feature GPS navigation as well as various sets of weapon mounts and can be outfitted with smoke-grenade launchers. U.S. Special Forces undergo significant training to operate these vehicles. Fox News is told the vehicles provided to the Libyans are now gone.
Along with the GMV’s, hundreds of weapons are now missing, including roughly 100 Glock pistols and more than 100 M4 rifles. More disturbing, according to the sources, is that it seems almost every set of night-vision goggles has also been taken. This is advanced technology that gives very few war fighters an advantage on the battlefield.
“It’s not just equipment … it’s the capability. You are giving these very dangerous groups the capability that only a few nations are capable of,” one source said. “Already assassinations are picking up in Tripoli and there are major worries that the militias are using this stolen equipment to their advantage. All these militias are tied into terrorist organizations and are tied to (salafists).”
The “salafists” are a jihadist movement among Salafi Muslims. This growing movement in Libya directly endangers the U.S.-supported government, and sources worry that this sensitive equipment is now going to be used by these groups in an attempt to overthrow the government and install a more hardline Muslim leadership.
Some diplomats, who asked to remain anonymous, say they are seeing the kinds of conditions that opened the door to the Sept. 11 Benghazi attack now appearing in Tripoli and across the rest of Libya. They worry that American convoys and western convoys will be attacked using these stolen weapons and vehicles.
The whole report is worth reading. Recall, by the way, that the U.S. installations in Benghazi, in addition to British convoys and installations, were repeatedly attacked in and around Benghazi even before the September 11, 2012, Benghazi massacre. But by all means, let’s do it again in Syria.