Here are several go-to links that will make the offseason a bit more bearable:
- Matt Snyder of CBSSports is reporting that the Astros have decided to fire general manger Ed Wade.
- Bruce Markusen of the Hardball Times explains why the Topps 1971 Bud Harrelson card is worth possessing.
- At Baseball Prospectus, Larry Granillo matches up the Muppets cast with this generation’s ballplayers.
- Ben Nicholson-Smith of MLB Trade Rumors asks, “So what’s the hardest commodity to obtain: an all-around catcher, an elite shortstop, an ace starter, a power bat or something else entirely?”
- ESPNNewYork’s Adam Rubin reports that U.S. district-court judge Jed S. Rakoff granted the Bernie Madoff bankruptcy trustee’s request that his lawsuit against Mets principal owner Fred Wilpon be tried before a jury. (Will Wilpon’s defense attorneys try to keep Mets fans from serving?)
- How do we know if a premier relief pitcher is worthy of Hall of Fame consideration? Beyond the Boxscore’s “adarowski” suggests using weighted wins above replacement (wWAR).
- The Royals are re-upping Bruce Chen for two years, while the Yankees are giving another year to Freddie Garcia.
That’s it, folks. Only 89 days until pitchers and catchers report!