Rays-Related Thoughts from Game 163
- David Price’s trade value just rose a little higher. The southpaw pitched a 5–2 complete game, allowing the Rangers just two runs on seven hits and one walk while striking out four. He also made a fine play on Elvis Andrus’s drag bunt in the bottom of the eighth inning.
- After watching the umpires fail to notice Leonys Martin’s trap of Delmon Young’s seventh-inning line drive — the blown call cost the Rays at least one run — you have to conclude that expanded replay can’t come soon enough.
- Sam Fuld literally “stole the show” in the ninth with his theft of third base while Tanner Scheppers was in the set position and looking away. When Scheppers finally became aware of what was happening, he threw the ball wide of the bag and Fuld got up and scampered home.
- Joe Maddon inserted Kevin Kiermaier in center field for defensive purposes in the bottom half of the frame. Get this, boys and girls: The ninth inning of Game 163 was the 23-year-old’s very first big-league appearance! Come on, how cool is that?
- Tomorrow represents the Rays’ first off day in more than three weeks. The Indians await them at Progressive Field on Wednesday evening.
Congratulations, Rays! Get some rest!