‘The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground,” Thomas Jefferson wrote in 1788. Changing just one word of this eternal truth renders it even more urgent: “The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and militant Islam to gain ground.”
From virtually every direction, radical Islam is on the march, spreading havoc and horror in its path. Simultaneously, the civilized world contorts itself nearly beyond recognition to accommodate Muslim fundamentalism. This is a formula for pain.
Just days after Islamic terrorists murdered 17 innocent Parisians in the Charlie Hebdo and kosher-grocery attacks, two militant Muslims in Belgium were killed and a third was injured in a gun battle with police. These jihadists reportedly were hours away from launching their own bloody onslaught against one of Europe’s most placid nations.
Hamza Muhammad Hassan Matrouk, a 23-year-old Palestinian terrorist, knifed twelve Israelis on a Tel Aviv bus, four seriously. Security cameras caught him stabbing a woman in the back as she fled Wednesday morning’s carnage.
Hamas was delighted. The attack “against Zionists in Tel Aviv is a brave and heroic act,” crowed Izzat al-Risheq, a senior official with the Islamic terrorists who rule Gaza.
Just 90 minutes after this bloodshed, Palestinian media outlets posted celebratory cartoons. Illustrator Bahaa Yaseen depicted a terrorist waving a blood-soaked knife and grinning before a street sign that reads “Occupied Tel Aviv.” While an Israeli bus sits atop a pool of blood, the terrorist laughs, “Ten fingers in the eyes of those who don’t pray for the prophet.”
Not far away, the Jerusalem Post reports, Hamas once again is burrowing from the Gaza Strip, right under Israeli targets. While the Israel Defense Forces destroyed many of these terror tunnels last summer, the Muslim extremists who misgovern Gaza are diverting cement from urgent civilian needs. Instead, Hamas constructs more such tunnels. According to the militant al-Resalah website, Hamas members “see every inch they dig as a place where an Israeli soldier would be kidnapped or killed.”
In fundamentalist-Muslim Saudi Arabia, Raif al-Badawi has begun his government-imposed punishment for “insulting Islam.” He ran a website called the Free Saudi Liberals forum. For discussing, among other things, the religious police’s restrictions on individual freedom, a sharia court in Jeddah sentenced Badawi to ten years in prison and 1,000 lashes. For 20 consecutive Fridays, Badawi will be flogged 50 times with a cane.
Badawi was sentenced under the reign of King Abdullah. Despite such barbarism, some considered Abdullah a modernizer in the House of Saud. Regardless, he dropped dead on Thursday at age 90.
ISIS seems eager to become the Khmer Rouge of the Middle East. It has embraced the worst practices of the Roman Empire by resurrecting crucifixion. Last week, it blindfolded two men and fatally flung them off a tall building in Mosul, Iraq. Their crime? They were found guilty of homosexual acts.
Just days later, an ISIS firing squad fatally machine-gunned 13 teenage boys. Why? They violated sharia law by watching a January 12 televised soccer match between Iraq and Jordan.
Journalist Jurgen Todenhofer recently visited ISIS strongholds and interviewed the group’s members. He noted “the enthusiasm in their plan of religious cleansing, planning to kill the non-believers.” As Todenhofer explained to al-Jazeera, “They were talking about [killing] hundreds of millions.”
And now that Yemen’s president and cabinet members resigned yesterday, and its capital is in the hands of pro-Iranian rebels, Yemen looks like the latest domino to fall to jihad.
The civilized world’s response to this metastasizing global threat too often oscillates between yawns and “Hands up. Don’t shoot.”
Regarding ISIS, “more than three months of U.S. airstrikes in Syria have failed to prevent Islamic State militants from expanding their control in that country,” the Wall Street Journal’s Dion Nissenbaum reported on January 15. “Instead, jihadist fighters have enlarged their hold in Syria since the U.S. started hitting the group’s strongholds there in September. . . . The current plan could take years to have a significant impact in Syria.” (Emphasis added.)
In Iraq, the U.S. military has kept these savages on their heels. However, frustrated Iraqis crave swifter and more precise action.
“The international coalition against ISIS is a comedy act,” bakery worker Hamza Issam complained to the Wall Street Journal’s Nour Malas and Ghassan Adnan. “America can destroy ISIS in one day only, but it does not do it.” U.S. officials have denied numerous local media reports that American or coalition military aircraft have parachuted weapons into ISIS-controlled territory.
In Paris, Secretary of State John Kerry saw radical Islam’s 17 latest French victims and raised it one 1970s folk-rock singer. With James Taylor’s help, America slid from “As the Caissons Go Rolling Along” to “You’ve Got a Friend.” In a letter to the New York Post, Rich Nutile lamented, “Too bad Frank Sinatra isn’t alive, or he could’ve sung ‘That’s Life.’”
Obama repeatedly has said that al-Qaeda is “on the run.” The terror group apparently ran right out of the English language. Tuesday’s State of the Union address was the first since February 2001 not to mention the perpetrators of the September 11 attacks, never mind that al-Qaeda’s Yemen franchise took responsibility for the Charlie Hebdo slaughter.
While Obama denounced “the bankrupt ideology of violent extremism,” he made no mention of Islam — radical, relaxed, or otherwise.
Claiming that “it is not who we are,” Obama declared, “It’s time to close Gitmo.”
Guantanamo supposedly drives radical Muslims into fits of homicidal rage. But Gitmo was just a U.S. Navy base, devoid of militant Islamic detainees, when al-Qaeda bombed America’s embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998 and, of course, when it attacked the homeland on September 11, 2001. So padlocking Guantanamo — for which Obama has an inexplicable and unhealthy lust — will cool the passions of jihadism about as effectively as a steaming pot of Turkish coffee.
If Obama’s serial releases of dangerous Gitmo detainees actually had reduced global jihad, his baffling policy might be justified. Instead, Muslim extremism intensifies — as America springs some incredibly scary customers.
Take Mohammed Zahir, a former leader of the Taliban Intelligence Directorate. According to his official threat assessment, “Detainee was arrested on suspicion of possessing weapons including Stinger missiles and uranium, which detainee’s recovered documents indicate was intended for use in a nuclear device.”
So, on December 20, Obama returned to Kabul three other Afghan Guantanamites, plus Zahir, who is fond of anti-aircraft rockets and atomic-bomb components. What could go wrong?
The Afghan government has provided “security guarantees” to ensure that Zahir and his pals avoid jihad, Team Obama insists. These pledges may be sincere and robustly enforced. However, returning Taliban leaders to a remote, mountainous nation in which American GIs face a well-armed enemy is inherently more dangerous than leaving these primitive murderers on a U.S. naval base surrounded by well-armed American troops, barbed wire, land mines, and sharks.
Obama keeps freeing detainees from Gitmo, as if they were no more volatile than aging car thieves. But given the almost 30 percent recidivism rate of all Gitmo alumni confirmed or suspected of resuming battle, Obama’s idiotic approach is like loading two bullets into a six-shooter, spinning the barrel, putting the muzzle in one’s mouth, and pulling the trigger. The odds are nearly 70 percent that nothing would happen.
Not to be outdone, New York mayor Bill de Blasio is considering deleting a 92-page 2007 NYPD report on Islamic radicalization. This may help settle a federal lawsuit by Muslims upset over the NYPD’s surveillance of mosques.
Such self-destructive censorship would follow last year’s disbanding of the NYPD’s Demographic Unit. It mapped ethnic enclaves and landmarks frequented by Muslims from various spots on Earth. So if officials sought an Islamic terrorist from, say, Pakistan, they would start looking in Jackson Heights, Queens — where he might try to blend in — rather than Astoria, where he might stand out among that area’s Egyptian natives.
Meanwhile, Oxford University Press (OUP) has offered the most flaccid response to this swelling problem.
“I’ve got a letter here that was sent out by OUP to an author doing something for young people,” Radio 4 host Jim Naughtie said last week in Great Britain. “Among the things prohibited in the text that was commissioned by OUP was the following: Pigs plus sausages, or anything else which could be perceived as pork.”
An OUP spokesman confirmed this policy: “Many of the educational materials we publish in the UK are sold in more than 150 countries, and as such they need to consider a range of cultural differences and sensitivities.”
So presumably books on Chinese hog farming will be off limits at OUP, as well as any volumes on using pig hearts for human cardiac care. Pork-barrel spending, bringing home the bacon, and pigging out now will be verboten.
OUP was founded in 1586. It has published for 429 years without surrendering to Jews who avoid pork. Only now, with militant Islam on the move, does Oxford University Press hide from pigs.
Civilization’s relentless bowing before radical Muslims is failing. The nicer “the infidels” behave, the harsher militant Islam becomes. Appeasement is working as well in 2015 as it did in 1938.
— Deroy Murdock is a Manhattan-based Fox News contributor and a media fellow with the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution, and Peace at Stanford University.