Atlanta — Donald Trump has been disinvited from the RedState Gathering here over his latest comments about Fox News host Megyn Kelly.
In the wee hours of Saturday morning, host Erick Erickson posted that he had told Trump he was no longer welcome at the event. Trump had been scheduled to speak at a party Saturday evening.
Trump has caused much consternation since entering the presidential race — for instance, suggesting that senator John McCain was not a war hero and making disparaging comments about Mexican immigrants. But insulting Kelly, a popular Fox News host, was apparently the tipping point.
Speaking on CNN Friday night, Trump suggested that Kelly, who was one of the hosts of the first GOP debate on Thursday, had asked him mean questions because she was menstruating.
“You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes. Blood coming out of her wherever,” Trump said.
Erickson, in his post, called that comment “a bridge too far for me.”
#related#”[T]here are even lines blunt talkers and unprofessional politicians should not cross,” Erickson wrote. He said he had invited Kelly to speak at the event, instead.
Other candidates have already begun taking to Twitter to attack Trump’s comments.
“Mr. Trump: There. Is. No. Excuse,” tweeted Carly Fiorina.
“Sad but predictable meltdown from Trump. With all due respect to @megynkelly the outrage at Trump’s divisive language is long overdue,” tweeted George Pataki.
Mike Huckabee, Ted Cruz, Jeb Bush, and Scott Walker are all scheduled to speak at the RedState Gathering tomorrow. We’ll post as reactions come in.
Previous predictions that one of Trump’s outlandish comments might spell the end of his presidential campaign have proven premature. It remains to be seen if he will be able to successfully weather this one as well.
— Alexis Levinson is a senior political reporter for National Review.