Former Trump campaign aide Sam Nunberg said Monday he intends to ignore a subpoena commanding his appearance before a grand jury investigating Russian interference in the 2016 election.
Nunberg told the Washington Post Monday he has no intention of complying with the subpoena, which, in addition to ordering his appearance in Washington Friday, asks that he provide records of his correspondence with nine individuals associated with the Trump campaign.
“Let him arrest me,” Nunberg said. “Mr. Mueller should understand I am not going in on Friday.”
The short-lived Trump campaign aide also indicated he planned to tear the two-page subpoena in half during a Bloomberg television appearance.
“I’m not spending 80 hours going over my emails with Roger Stone and Steve Bannon and producing them,” Nunberg said of the subpoena, which was obtained by the Post. “Donald Trump won this election on his own. He campaigned his ass off. And there is nobody who hates him more than me.”
Nunberg, who has previously referred to the president as a “moron,” told the Post that “Putin is too smart to collude with Donald Trump,” but he left open the possibility that Mueller’s team may have uncovered some form of wrongdoing during a Monday afternoon interview on MSNBC.
White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders responded to Nunberg’s comments by reiterating the administration’s longstanding official position on the question of collusion.
“There was no collusion with the Trump campaign,” Sanders said.
“He hasn’t worked at the White House, so I certainly can’t speak to him or the lack of knowledge that he clearly has.”
Nunberg was dismissed from the Trump campaign in August, 2015, after Business Insider exposed a series of racist Facebook posts from 2007, one of which referred to the Reverend Al Sharpton’s daughter as a “n*gger.”