White House

Report: White House Planning Ouster of H.R. McMaster

National security adviser H.R. McMaster speaks during the daily briefing at the White House, September 15, 2017. (Carlos Barria/Reuters)
The national security adviser has had a tumultuous relationship with the president.

The White House is planning to replace national security adviser H.R. McMaster, five sources confirmed to NBC News on Thursday.


The move is said to be orchestrated by White House chief of staff John Kelly and Defense Secretary James Mattis, and General McMaster may be fired as early as the end of March.

Stephen Biegun, a former senior national security staffer under then-national security adviser Condoleezza Rice has been rumored a possible replacement for McMaster. Biegun is currently an executive at Ford Motors.

Rice is Biegun’s sponsor for the White House position and introduced him to Mattis.

A Ford spokesman said Biegun has no plans to leave Ford, however.

McMaster’s relationship with President Trump has been shaky, including a public kerfuffle with Trump after the Army general stated it was “incontrovertible” that Russia had interfered in the 2016 election.


The Trump administration has fired numerous high-level staffers over its first year, some at the behest of General Kelly, who took over as chief of staff in July.

McMaster’s predecessor Michael Flynn was also fired after he admitted he lied to Vice President Mike Pence about his conversations with Moscow officials. Flynn is a high-profile player in Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia probe.

McMaster, who had planned to retire before he was tapped as national security adviser last year, remains a highly respected lieutenant general on active duty in the Army.