Julius (“Jay”) Richardson is President Trump’s nominee to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit from South Carolina.
Age (approximate): 41
Current Position: Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of South Carolina
- B.A., Vanderbilt University, high honors
- J.D., University of Chicago Law School; Editor, University of Chicago Law Review
Judicial Clerkships: Judge Richard Posner, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit (2003-2004); Chief Justice William Rehnquist, U.S. Supreme Court (2004-2005)
- 2005-2009: Associate, Kellogg, Hansen, Todd, Figel & Frederick LLP (Washington, D.C.)
- 2009-Present: Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of South Carolina
- As an attorney at Kellogg Hansen, Mr. Richardson’s practice focused on civil litigation.
- Richardson currently serves as Deputy Criminal Chief in the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of South Carolina. He was the lead prosecutor in United States v. Roof, which concerned the 2015 mass shooting at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina.