- Moira Smith has been a registered Democrat in Alaska for the past 23 years. She worked for a Democratic state legislator in Alaska and was also the national committeewoman for the Young Democrats of Alaska. She is a graduate of Georgetown University and the University of California at Berkeley Law School.
- Her first husband, Paul Bodnar, served in President Obama’s White House as Senior Director for Energy and Climate Change at the National Security Council up until 2016. He is now a Senior Fellow at the Rocky Mountain Institute and Investment Advisor at Vision Ridge Partners, and is based in Boulder, Colorado.
- Her second husband, Jake Metcalfe, is now a discredited high-profile Democratic politician in Alaska. He stepped down as chairman of the Alaska Democratic Party to run for Congress in a contested Democratic primary. He was forced to withdraw from that primary campaign when it was revealed his campaign was responsible for creating fake web sites that attacked one of his Democratic rivals in the race.
- In the past three years Moira Smith has contributed $625 to U.S. Senator Mark Begich (D-AK). Since 2014 Metcalfe has contributed $1040 to Sen. Begich, the Democratic Party of Alaska, and the presidential campaign of Hillary Clinton.
- Metcalfe also has deep ties to organized labor. He was an attorney for the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, and is currently the executive director of the Public Safety Employees Association, which is an affiliate of AFSCME Alaska.
- Smith worked in the Alaska State Legislature as an aide to state representative Woodie Salmon (D-Beaver). She also worked as a law clerk for the Alaska Supreme Court during the 2007-08 term. She is now a vice president and general counsel at Enstar, an energy company based in Anchorage, Alaska.
- Throughout her career Smith has been publicly critical of Republicans on many occasions, including accusing them of a culture of corruption.
Attention, journalists of America: Time is running out! You have under three weeks left to publish your last batch of over-the-top pre-election puff pieces on Texas Democrat/cross-country liberal sensation/wing-and-a-prayer Senate candidate Beto O’Rourke! It is here that we must face the difficult truth: ... Read More
Senator Elizabeth Warren (D., Mass.) has been telling a story for years. It’s a deeply romantic story about her parents and their young love, fraught with the familial bigotry of an earlier time. Here’s how she told it this week in a video she released in preparation for her 2020 run: My daddy always said he ... Read More
Two Republican candidates for state office in Minnesota have been physically assaulted in recent days, leading prominent Republican lawmakers to caution their Democratic colleagues against employing inflammatory rhetoric. Republican state representative Sarah Anderson was punched in the arm last week after ... Read More
The metaphors don’t get any better (or worse) than this: A van carrying Hillary Clinton, fresh from throwing her Me Too sisters under the bus this weekend, crashed into a parking-garage pillar on the way to a New Jersey campaign fundraiser Tuesday for beleaguered Democratic senator Bob Menendez. At her side was ... Read More