OPEN POSITIONS AT NATIONAL REVIEW
Managing Editor, Digital (nationalreview.com)
Here is a rare opportunity: an excellent job in a senior position at an institution that is the best of its kind.
National Review Online, the nation’s premier online source of political news, conservative opinion, and cultural commentary seeks a digital managing editor to work out of its Manhattan office. This is a demanding position that will carry with it much of the responsibility for the day-to-day editing and operations and longer-term planning of a website with dozens of writers, contributors, and editors and millions of regular readers.
This is not an entry-level position, nor would it be a good fit for aspiring cable-news pundits or columnists. Instead, the digital editor will be focused on implementation of National Review’s editorial mission on the digital side. Working under the editor, the digital managing editor will participate in long-term planning (assisting with story assignments and commissioning articles, scheduling, developing the editorial calendar, etc.) and daily management, ensuring that the pace of publication on NRO and within the Corner and its other subsections remains steady and lively, that NR style and standards are adhered to from copy-editing to fact-checking, and that the voice, tone, and content of NRO is consistent with National Review’s longstanding values. We want a website that moves as quickly as Twitter and reads as well as our print magazine.
To that end, we are looking for someone with a real track record in digital operations, with a focus on adding and retaining readers, building traffic, and deploying our resources to maximum effect. Which is to say, the editor in this position will touch on many critical areas: editing and oversight, improving the user experience, building audience and engagement, and doing all that in a way that is consistent with National Review’s style, wit, and intellectual seriousness.
As noted, this is not an entry-level position, and the position comes with compensation appropriate to the caliber of journalist we wish to hire for it. The position offers a great deal of flexibility, and it requires a great deal of flexibility as well—expect long days with some nights and weekends as the news and our publishing schedule requires. The upside is a senior role at the best publication of its kind, one with a 64-year track record of journalistic excellence and intellectual leadership.
National Review enjoys great reach and resources backed by a first-rate organization, a staff of outstanding writers and editors, along with a large and impressive network of editorial contributors, subject-area experts, and sources. There is no better place to do the kind of journalism we do. National Review has to live with the same financial realities as any other digital publisher, and we manage the resources we have prudently, but this is not a profit-oriented operation. It is a mission. If you share that mission, then this is where you want to work. There are few publications that can boast of having had an equal influence on American political life.
National Review is a publication devoted to conservative thinking, with a particular style and sensibility all its own, and a successful digital managing editor will understand these and sympathize with them. But the successful candidate need not have a background in conservative media or conservative activism; we encourage those with backgrounds in newspapers and general-interest magazines, mainstream journalism and publishing, and related fields to apply. We are looking for someone with creative ideas and a well-documented history of putting them into practice. Candidates should possess a high level of competence in editing (this will be tested), a love of language, excellent news judgment, the ability to manage editors and writers and their schedules, a knowledge of the subjects and ideas important to our readers, and a great deal of energy.
• Manage production and publishing of content on the National Review website.
• Participate in the daily editorial meeting to help set priorities for the day.
• Recommend selection and order of pieces for the next day in consultation with the editor.
• Oversee all copy-editing and manage the editorial workflow. This includes assigning, editing, and proofreading work, and ensuring work schedule reflects editorial priorities.
• Ensure editing and proofing of copy is of the highest quality, providing ongoing feedback to editors and working to develop best practices. Maintain and enforce NR’s style guide.
• Oversee contributions to the Corner from entry into the content-management system to editing to final publication.
• Develop content from in-depth story ideas to suggestions for quick-turnaround blog posts. Distribute assignments to staff and contributors in consultation with the editor.
• Track and manage writer production levels.
• Monitor news throughout the day for breaking news.
• Oversee and track web analytics to monitor reader engagement, make necessary content adjustments, assure traffic goals are being met.
• Manage web editors, news editor and NYC interns.
• Help to hone our digital offering, including advancing our subscription service, NRPLUS.
• At least five years of experience working in a digital journalism environment.
• Proven skills in managing numerous staff and projects, both on and off-site.
• Superior editorial judgment and editing abilities.
• Experience using social media to find and promote stories.
• Technologically apt, including familiarity with content management systems (preferably WordPress), SEO & tagging best practices, and web analytics tools.
• Understand National Review’s unique mission, its history, and its position in the world of conservative commentary, and share its aims and principles.
• Be ready to work from our Manhattan office.
Please send a concise résumé and letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Audience Development Manager
National Review is looking for an experienced Audience Development Manager. The ideal candidate is equal parts content marketing/ audience development/ and social whiz. You will be responsible for increasing traffic, raising the brand’s profile, building a loyal following on various social media networks, and marketing our content products. A passion for news and politics, an obsession with social media, an aptitude in content curation, and experience in audience development and engagement are key.
You will not be merely posting social links — you will manage content and distribution strategy across the website, mobile, app, social, email, and a myriad of platforms (AMP, Facebook IA, Google Newsstand, Apple News, Youtube, etc.). Success will be measured by the ability to grow audience, brand relevance, maintain the health of the brand and exceed revenue goals.
What you’ll do:
• Develop and execute content marketing strategy to generate website traffic and boost user engagement on all platforms
• Develop and execute creative programming for NR’s social channels that meet the editorial, marketing, and advertising goals of the brand
• Define and report on our audiences and how we can drive them across all of our offerings, i.e. how does our YouTube channel tie to our site, and how do our podcasts tie to our video & events etc?
• Manage the execution of all social media posts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn, plus emerging platforms)
• Spearhead new strategies to grow audience development across channels
• Identify and develop partners for traffic swaps, events, & syndication
• Manage NRPLUS social imprint and assists with other NRPLUS-related developmental projects
• Use analytics and data to inform and improve decision making. Use external/internal data platforms (e.g. Google Analytics, etc.) to analyze data and determine long term strategies
What you have:
• 3+ years of marketing/audience development experience in digital publishing &/or media agency — news and/or politics background preferred
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, or another digital media field preferred
• Provide visionary leadership rooted in strategy, analysis & data, creativity, with a bias towards urgency and perfect execution
• Possesses a deep understanding of analytics and data (knowledge of Facebook Insights, Google Analytics, SocialFlow and similar programming/reporting tools are a must)
• Is comfortable working across many teams, including production, editorial, marketing, sales
National Review has been America’s paper of record for conservative fact and opinion since 1955. NR’s detailed analysis and commentary on news, politics, current events, and culture is delivered across multiple platforms, including print and digital.
Some perks & benefits of working at National Review:
• Competitive salary and health-care packages
• Annual bonus plan
• 401(k) contribution
• Remote Summer Fridays
• Generous paid time off
To be considered:
Please email cover letter and résumé to email@example.com
Place ‘NR Audience Development Manager’ in the subject line. In your cover letter please answer the following question: National Review was founded in what year?
OPEN POSITIONS AT NATIONAL REVIEW INSTITUTE