[Compiled by Ahmad Majidyar; (E) signifies English link. This will be part of an occassional posting of Dari, Pashto, and English press from Afghan news sources. It will not be daily like Iran News Round Up]
- (E) Afghan daily reports Iran has warned against attempts to negotiate with terrorist groups in Afghanistan.
- “The recent increase in insecurity in Afghanistan well suggests that the attempts made to appease some extremist and terrorist groups by certain countries have been counterproductive and have only emboldened them,” Iranian Ambassador to the United Nations Mohammad Khazaee has said.
- Speaking at a UN meeting on Afghanistan, he stressed that the battle of “hearts and minds… can’t be won by solely relying on military operations. Nor will it be possible by trying to appease the extremists and terrorists…” He urged more focus on Afghanistan’s reconstruction and cautioned against civilian casualties.
- (E) Afghan news agency reports on expulsion of over 570 Afghan families and 8,800 individuals from Iran over the current year.
- NATO’s spokesman in Afghanistan says no part of Afghanistan’s border with any neighboring state is secure.
- Brigadier-General Richard Blanchette added that the insurgents were using their bases, training camps and logistical facilities from the tribal border areas with Pakistan, but pointed out that NATO had no evidence at hand about Iran’s sending weapons to the insurgents
- Pajhwok reports on an increase in kidnapping of foreigners and businessmen in Afghan provinces bordering Iran.