The Corner

Biden’s Old-School Demagogy

This one was hard to watch, and I suspect many fewer people did watch it than watched the first presidential debate. The vice-presidential debate resembled one of those cacophonous political talk shows that call it dialogue when they encourage guests to talk over each other. Biden was the chief, almost the only, offender, but if you had listened over the radio you might have thought he won anyway, so oleaginous and unashamed was he. This was demagogy old-school style, without a trace of irony, betrayed only by the Joker-like smile. Thank goodness for television.

Still, politics usually trumps policy, and Ryan never attributed, or at least never seemed to attribute, a bad motive to Biden. He attacked the administration’s policies mostly as failures rather than as injustices, and it was unfortunate that he didn’t or couldn’t pound away at Obamacare until late in the debate. (To his credit, he did attack Solyndra and crony capitalism.) Why do the Democrats favor greater dependency on government? Why do they accept economic stagnation and insist on redistribution? Ryan never quite said.

Biden, by contrast, was emphatically political throughout; he enjoyed flaying the Republicans as toadies of the richest and greediest families in America. Too bad for him that Romney wrote off only 47 percent of the electorate. That leaves 53 percent, a decidedly democratic, not oligarchic, number. And besides, it’s better if snake-oil salesmen do not look and act like snake-oil salesmen. In that connection, I was disappointed, though, that he didn’t repeat the pledge he made in Florida the other day, of free colonoscopies for Medicare recipients. Perhaps Obama’s economic policies have made the procedure redundant.

On foreign policy, Biden’s stonewalling on Libya did not put the doubts to rest, only encouraging them. But he was effective in exposing the awkwardness of Romney-Ryan’s halfhearted neoconservatism: They want a tougher policy in the Middle East but no new ground wars, the same withdrawal date from Afghanistan, and democratization only where it inconveniences our enemies. On Iran, some differences between the parties glimmered but never became distinct. The word Ryan could not utter was “victory.” Republicans stopped talking about that in regard to the Mideast and the war against terrorism a long time ago.

Charles R. Kesler, a professor of government at Claremont McKenna College, is the editor of the Claremont Review of Books.

Most Popular

White House

Trump and the ‘Racist Tweets’

What does “racist” even mean anymore? Racism is the headline on President Trump’s Sunday tweets -- the media-Democrat complex assiduously describes them as “racist tweets” as if that were a fact rather than a trope. I don’t think they were racist; I think they were abjectly stupid. Like many ... Read More
White House

The Trump Steamroller

As we settle into high summer and the period of maximum difficulty in finding anything to fill in hours of television news, especially 24/7 news television, two well-established political trends are emerging in this pre-electoral period: The president’s opponents continue to dig themselves into foxholes that ... Read More
Politics & Policy

Ilhan Omar Is Completely Assimilated

Beto O’Rourke, the losing Texas Senate candidate who bootstrapped his way into becoming a losing presidential candidate, had a message for refugees who had come to America: Your new country is a hellhole. The former congressman told a roundtable of refugees and immigrants in Nashville, Tenn., last week: ... Read More
Sports

We All Wanted to Love the Women’s Soccer Team

For the first time in my life, I did not root for an American team. Whatever the sport, I have always rooted American. And if those who called in to my radio show were representative of my audience, many millions of Americans made the same sad choice. It takes a lot for people like me not to root for an ... Read More
U.S.

The ‘Squad’ Gives a Gift to Donald Trump

On Sunday, Donald Trump gave the Democrats a gift -- comments that indicate he thinks native-born congresswomen he detests should “go back” to the countries of their ancestors. On Monday, the four congresswomen handed Trump a gift in return, managing to respond to the president’s insults in some of the most ... Read More
Immigration

Why So Little Coverage of the ICE Attack?

Mostly unnoticed beneath the storm of idiotic presidential tweets and the Democratic struggle session over exactly how minority legislators should behave, a 69-year-old man conducted a terrorist attack on a government facility this weekend. Willem Van Spronsen, armed with a rifle and “incendiary devices”, ... Read More