As this is typed, we’re 49.5 percent of the way towards NR’s 2019 Spring Webathon goal of $175,000. Why that amount? Well, it could be twice that, and then some: Right now the generosity of our comrades is sorely needed to maintain NR’s relentless, 24/7 operations, of late quite intensified in the attack on reemerging socialism. And, as Rich Lowry made excellent note of yesterday, we’ve also ramped-up efforts defending Bill Barr from the Left’s crazed attacks.
Back to our arithmetic: We’ll round our support figures and declare we’re halfway to our objective! A milestone attained, groovy. But still, a challenge: We’ve got halfway to go. The glass being half full, let’s thank the 782 kind and selfless souls who have given us $86,717 since the Webathon launched. Every penny of it is vital. And as good as that is, many a contribution comes attended by words of strong encouragement. Such as:
• James’s $200 donation was appended to a comment of praise that echoes the sentiments of many: “I just want to thank you for your great insight. We can’t get this anywhere else.” And NR can’t get friends like you anywhere else. Thanks terribly Jimbo.
• Rick makes good for $63.26, and explains the unorthodox amount: “One barrel of crude oil. Keep fighting the good fight.” Now that’s the kind of crudeness even Mom would love. Thanks Rick. Love the way you think.
• Tom spots NR 50 bucks and shows the bona fides: “Hi Rich, Long-time admirer and I am a lot older to boot. Wish I could do more.” Tom, you are about to inspire a lot more people, so consider do-more done.
• Voorhees gifts us 100 bucks and passes the salty: “As Churchill said, ‘Keep Buggering On’ in the fight against socialism!” Buggerio, ergo sum!
• Bradley finds a cool 50 smackers and sends them thisaway. Stapled to the dough is this sentiment: “National Review has been an invaluable resource for me. I hope it remains available for my children and grandchildren. Thank you.” We plan to be there for them then, because people like you are there for us now. Thanks Bradley.
• Julian sends $500, God bless him, and slaps the back while mentioning a fan-fave: “Excellent work all around with special mention to Andrew McCarthy.” Gotta love those NR Bronx Boys. Thanks so much Julian.
• One more: Mary Louise heard Rich’s plea, tenders a $200 gift, and explains her current interior decoration efforts: “Bill Barr’s picture is on my fridge with ‘Our hero’ scrawled across the bottom. Keep up the good fight, Bill Barr, we need you!”
Dearest Mary Louise, we wish we had a picture of you because we’d slap it up on the NR fridge and likewise scrawl OUR HERO on it. Why? Because you are. As are the 781 other friends of conservatism, and enemies of socialism, who have seen fit to join us as we fix bayonets and charge these miserable enemies of freedom.
We urge you to contribute what you can, but taking a cue from Rick — could you send us a barrel of oil? That’s $63.26 on today’s market. Maybe two barrels? Four? Hey, don’t blame us for spotting what could be a good gimmick. And we need a gusher! You can donate to NR’s 2019 Spring Webathon here. Contributions by check can be accomplished as follows: Make it payable to “National Review” and mail it to National Review, ATTN: Spring 2019 Webathon, 19 West 44th Street, New York, NY 10036.