George Will’s column today is quite an accomplishement — he’s loaded every worn-out cliche and discredited notion about immigration into one package:
* “East Germany showed how” — Really? And I thought there was a difference between keeping people in and keeping them out.
* “Vigilantism” — Even the president hasn’t repeated this slur on civic-minded Americans conducting their own border-watch initiatives (the one-year anniversary of the Minuteman Project is this weekend).
* “We are not going to take the draconian police measures necessary to deport 11 million people” — I can’t believe intelligent people still say this. See the antidote here.
* “Faux conservatives” — Hmmm, so NR is not really conservative?
* “face facts about the bleak future of an unreformed Social Security system” — How many times does the immigration/Social Security canard have to be debunked? See here.