4. In Erie, N.Y.: Changes proposed for foster care system
[Apologies, this originally said Pa.!]
6. In the Atlantic: James Winnefeld Jr.’s Vow to Combat the Opioid Crisis
7. In Christianity Today about Nobel Peace Prize laureate Dr. Denis Mukwege:
If Christians do not live out the practical implications of their faith among their communities and neighbors, “we cannot fulfill the mission entrusted to us by Christ,”
A humane politics presupposes certain pre-political goods, including common goods. A humane politics also requires a Common Good toward which politic life can be ordered. Our current state of affairs seems to be an attempt to trudge along without either.
— Stephen White (@SWhiteEPPC) October 2, 2018
12. Fr. George Rutler: Where Do These Wars Between Yourselves First Start?
13. From a few days ago, but still beautiful:
Look who I bumped into in the Kansas City International Airport! @SenatorDole and his wife Elizabeth. Topic of conversation? How awesome is it to be 95 years old! “I’ll be surprised if I make it to 80,” I said. “I was surprised when I made it to 80,” he replied. pic.twitter.com/xmEN0DxXZB
— Fr. Thomas Petri, OP (@PetriOP) September 30, 2018
Neighborhood traffic jam, 1950s. pic.twitter.com/ODY2vij8uN
— Mood:Vintage (@moodvintage) October 6, 2018
PLUS: A review of a book I contributed to, When Women Pray.
If you are in D.C. on Tuesday, please consider coming to our book event about this very topic. Details here.
Sign up for my weekly e-mail here.