“It seems that we are entering an age when, all the hopes founded on rationalism and humanitarian optimism having been frustrated, the great problems of the spiritual order, the war among the angels, will again dominate history and the distress of mankind.” -Jacques Maritain,1927
— Robert Nicholson (@rwnicholson_) November 29, 2018
“If you read history you will find that the Christians who did most for the present world were just those who thought most of the next […] It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this.” C. S. Lewis
— Jesse Rojo (@rojocentral) December 30, 2018
5. Fr. James V. Schall S.J., a beloved teacher and author – who has written here over the years — is said to likely be in his last days. Please offer a prayer for his peaceful passing and all who encountered him will truly live as God intends, as he has sought to.
6. I hold in my hands a copy of the new A Year with the Eucharist, a beautiful volume of daily meditations. If you’re a Catholic dismayed/angry/saddened by the scandals, this might be helpful spiritual reading and prompts for deeper prayer. It doesn’t have to start on January 1, but it also can. It’s available on Kindle for immediate purchase.
There’s something up with the Amazon delivery of the physical book, but I bought a few for presents directly from the publisher, St. Benedict’s Press, and they came quickly.
7. U.S. Catholic bishops are going on retreat this week. The Foundation for Prayer for Priests has launched a prayer campaign. Information here if you care to join.
8. Also for prayers:
Crying for a foster mother whose son was abruptly picked up this morning to go back to his mom. Praying that it’s the safe and right thing for all of them.
— Malka M. Groden (@MalkaGroden) December 31, 2018
9. USA Today: “Can you think about adopting me one day?”
12. Also, something I wrote about the Holy Family.
13. My friends at Cave Pictures Publishing sent me a e-copy of a new graphic novel/a.k.a. comic book adaptation of George MacDonald’s Light Princess. It’s beautifully done and a good and touching story. Would you consider making a request today to a local comic book store to order it? What a gift it would be to have in every store in the country, awaiting readers who might receive quite a redemptive kind of surprise in finding it.
PLUS: Is Joy Possible?
I also have a free weekly e-mail. Typically has links to articles, upcoming events, and WFB flashbacks. Sign up here.