Our writers and editors are engaged in minute-by-minute hand-to-hand combat with ideological forces — the self-promoted proletariat vanguardians who despise this country for its fundamental, founding principles — and we find it is a particularly worthwhile point, even as we fix bayonets and charge, to ask those of you who find NR to be indispensable — always so, yes, but especially so at critical moments such as this — to lend us some support in this effort to raise $50,000. If you can help, do so here. And do it with our thanks.
Funny, isn’t it: Our generous friends — and as of this writing, since but a few hours ago over 200 folks have seen fit to contribute over $17,000 (a smashing kick-off prompted by Rich Lowry’s stirring call to prevent the Left from destroying our country) — find it is they who must give thanks. That’s in addition to offering inspiring encouragement for what NR does, for what NR means, for the state of this pitched battle. Some examples:
- Big Jim sends 200 righteous bucks and this thought: “There are lies and then there are selective truths. A lot of both are going around right now. Root out the whole truth and tell it. I hope my contribution helps.” It most surely does. Many thanks.
- Barry tenders $35 and explains his deep concern: “I agree wholeheartedly with your message, and am sick and tired of the lunatic left’s policies and thoughtless ideology!!! I am 75 years old and I never ever thought we as a country could be at this horrendous place!!!” Because of your contribution B-Man, we can fight back. You rock. And don’t despair!
- Joseph drops a C note and this: “Thank you for the work you are doing. I’m a 40-something middle-of-the-road conservative who has never been prone to hysterics, but the recent advancement of the extreme left into mainstream media/politics is, to me, very concerning. I’m of course sickened by the death of George Floyd, but believe at the same time that the tragedy is being used by neo-Marxists to fundamentally alter U.S. society. Unfortunately, I believe that they are succeeding.” They won’t Joe because you are passing along the ammunition. So grateful.
- Robert finds $50 for the collection basket along with a damned-good wish list: “Please keep doing what you are doing. Demand accountability from China and the CPC for their lies, the deaths of thousands and the destruction of the world’s economy. Draw attention to the hypocrisy of Democrats with their identity politics and their destruction of individual liberties. Thank you for being a voice of reason.” We’re on all of it, Robert. God bless and thanks.
- Another $50 comes from Daniel, in the eye of the storm: “It’s not easy to be a conservative and live in one of the major cities impacted by the rioters and looters. That’s why I am so thankful for National Review. NR is the needed refuge from the madness of the crowds and the anecdote to nihilistic chaos. I am proud to support the work of Rich, Charlie, and the rest of the gang with my donation. Keep up the good work!” We can keep it up thanks to you. Be strong Dan the Man!
- From Seth comes $200 and motivating words: “My greatest fear at this point is the growing campaign to avoid or shame thought and bypass reason. National Review inspires me to think, every day. Keep fighting!” Damn the torpedoes! Thanks Seth.
- Rosemary drops $100 on us, and a fact: “It is almost impossible to find objective journalism now. Thank you for being a source I can still trust.” We try, Rose, because we have an obligation to the truth, and to great friends such as you.
Don’t discount the “great friends” description — Bill Buckley was convinced he owned NR on behalf of the good people who keep the doors open, the lights on, the support coming, year over year, so we could stand athwart History yelling Stop while coordinating shelling of enemy positions. Yep, this is a battle, maybe more pitched than ever, more consequential than ever, in no small part because of a leftist media unvarnished about its biases, fearless of twisting the language, set on a mission to undermine the essence of this more perfect Union. That’s what it’s about friends. And you are our friends, which is why we ask for your support now, to offer you the opportunity to become one of the band of brothers and sisters who will look back some day and show off our scars and say: We fought, we did not buckle, we stayed true to our beliefs, we prevailed.
Your contribution matters, whether it is the Widow’s Mite or the Billionaire’s Loose Change. We are running this effort through Monday, and if we hit our goal, well, that will be sensational, and if we have the chance to surpass it, well, know that the needs of NR are multiples of our $50,000 goal. So donate here. If you prefer to send your kindness by mail, make your check payable to “National Review” and send it to: to National Review, ATTN: Defeat the Left, 19 West 44th Street, Suite 1701, New York, NY 10036. God bless!