Larry Kudlow recommends spending restraint for Republicans. Are they listening? Here’s something Brian Riedl of the Heritage Foundation just emailed to me:
Despite tough-on-pork rhetoric the final 11 appropriations bills currently contain as many as 10,000 earmarks. “Congress Returns to Spending Bills Loaded With Pork” lists more than 160 of those earmarks, such as:
- $175,000 for the Andre Agassi College Preparatory Academy;
- $250,000 for the Montana World Trade Center;
- $500,000 to Renovate the Public Pool in Banning, California;
- $387,976 for Manure Management Research, Ames, Iowa;
- $75,000 for ArtsQuest—The Banana Factory, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania; and
- $365,156 for Potato Breeding, Aberdeen, Idaho.
The full, depressing paper is here.