1) Solutions to this month’s diary math brainteasers are added to the Math Corner in the personal-archive version here.
2) Luca Giordano’s painting Truth finding Fortune in the Sea was still hanging in Dalkeith Palace in 1958. I know so from a book of that date, which also includes a black-and-white reproduction which I have re-reproduced here. Whether the painting is till at Dalkeith, I shall learn when one of the following things happens:
- Either the folk at Dalkeith answer my very polite emails requesting information,
- Or I lose patience & just phone ‘em (and they answer),
- Or I get back to the city and spend the requisite hour or so with the catalogue raisonné in NY Public Library.
Many thanks to all who helped with that.