(Thanks to Ali Alfoneh for his compilation)
- Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad speaking at the inauguration of the eighth parliament: “Election participation in Iran has made the entire world wonder, and is a messenger of many messages and meanings…Serving the people is our goal, one must sacrifice life, tranquility and living, and through serving the people we worship God…The success of the parliament and the government are bound together…We must correct the unjust world order…We must solve the economic problems of the people by calling upon [Imam] Hussein, or [Imam] Ali…Western theories have brought poverty to 80 percent of world population, and we must make indigenous theories to solve world problems…The government makes the fight against economic corruption a priority…The Islamic Republic is the purest and healthiest regime in the world…The countdown to collapse of the bullying powers has begun..”
- Mosharekat reformist front officially demands reopening of the case on the serial killings of dissidents and intellectuals in the 1990′s, and the brutal suppression of the 1999 student uprisings.
- See also Deutche Welle’s report.
- Jam-e Jam censors a part of the Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei’s message to the Iranian parliament in which he thanks outgoing speaker of the parliament, Gholam-Ali Haddad-Adel.
- Rumors on Ayatollah Jannati’s withdrawal from the Friday prayers of Tehran due to advanced age.
Human Rights and Labor
- Imprisoned editor of Payam-e Daneshjou weekly freed, says he will continue his campaign for human rights in Iran.
- Kargozaran reports suicides of three workers who have not been paid by the public sector.
- Seyyed Ali Khomeini, the youngest son of the late Seyyed Ahmad Khomeini and grandson of the founder of the Islamic Republic, marries the daughter of Hojjat al-Eslam Sharstani, son-in-law and head of office of Grand Ayatollah Sistani.
Military and Security
- Ezzat-Shahi explains the formation of Revolutionary Committees after the victory of the 1979 Revolution, Part I and Part II.
- Minister of intelligence confirms explosion of a car in Tehran.
- The Central Bank issues 100,000 rial bill.
- Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi criticizes inflation.
- Major Iranian cities experience power cuts.
- Iran negotiating oil swaps with British, Dutch, and Spanish companies.
- Iran to invest $120 billion in liquefied natural has projects.
Religion, Culture, and Society
- Tehran Symphony to honor Ayatollah Khomeini.
- Iranian response to Fitna to be released on internet today.
- The first president of the Islamic Republic, Abol-Hassan Bani-Sadr, says it was Iran and not Libya which was responsible for the Pan-Am flight’s explosion in Lockerbie.
- The Islamic Republic hits Mojahedin-e Khalq’s Camp Ashraf in Iraq with missiles.
Photo of the Day