(Thanks to Ali Alfoneh for his compilation)
Military and Security
- Pedagogical University of Tehran is encircled by security forces on the second day of student demonstrations. According to the news agency, the mobile phone network of the Pardis area of Karaj has been shut off.
- The Ministry of Intelligence claims to have arrested assailants against the “Rahiyan-e Nour” [Travelers of Light] Basij organized tours.
- Organizational and ideological problems within the Student Basij?
- Alef News Agency releases a TV interview with Commander Radan, police chief of Greater Tehran, who explains the ”Societal Security Scheme.”
- ElBaradei says U.S. denies him vital intelligence on Iran’s nuclear program.
- Iraq to discuss proposed U.S. Status of Forces Agreement with Iran.
- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad holds a two hour meeting with newly elected speaker of the Iranian parliament, Ali Larijani, and expresses hope for a fruitful cooperation between the legislative and the executive.
- Former commander in chief of the Revolutionary Guards corrects his earlier statements on the first president of the Islamic Republic, Abol-Hassan Bani-Sadr, and says Bani-Sadr indeed betrayed the confidence of the Iranian voters.
Religion, Society, and Culture
- Members of Female Student Basij demonstrate in front of the Ministry of Higher Education to protest “professors who freely express anti-Islamic thoughts during their lectures.”
- Islamic Student Association at the University of Karaj protests against burial of martyrs from the Iran/Iraq war in the campus area. More here.
- Varia student bulletin at the University Shiraz shut by authorities.
- 1600 students at the University of Sharif sign a letter protesting against creation of a “parallel Islamic Student Association.”
Photo of the Day
- Remembering Khomeini as anniversary of his death nears.