(Thanks to Ali Alfoneh for his compilation)
- Larijani says if the U.S. does not learn from past mistakes, the Iranian nation will change the position of the U.S. in the region. More, in English.
- Speaking to the Association of the Professors and Scholars of the Elmiyyeh Theological Seminary of Qom, Ahmadinejad says “the plot of the U.S. to abduct me while I was in Iraq, and to transfer me to the U.S. was defeated.” According to the Iranian president, the U.S. plot did not bear fruit because of the grace of God, and the Americans were “flabbergasted” at the time they got the news that the Iranian president was leaving Iraqi air space. More, in English.
- Rafsanjani speaking at the ‘Government, Administrative Order and Prospects’ seminar: “Bereave the people of their sovereignty if you want to bereave Islam of its soul…The Quranic verse, La Ikrah fi-l Din [there is no force in religion – the verse usually used by some interpretations to stress upon freedom of religion in Islam] can also be applied to politics, economy, and other matters…Man is born free, and we must return to the fundamental freedom of the people which was ensured by the Islamic Revolution…The trend towards sovereignty of the people has been the dominant trend in world affairs ever since the French revolution…According to the Quran, the blessed are those who use council
- Rafsanjani added that the clergy’s relationship with the Iranian regime is like a mother who can’t and should not abandon her child.
- Ahmadinejad’s second night meeting with student groups and organizations supporting the government is reported by Kargozaran: “A number of people attempt their best to impose crises upon the government…They want to weaken the government by engaging the government in tactical issues. But the government will never lose sight of the strategic issues…The government solely pursues justice…This year will be the year of harshest attacks against the government…Major international developments are in motion…World leadership in today’s world is not in the hands of international organizations, and like a domino bricks, the world orders are collapsing, and one can’t rule out possibility of social unrest in the world. All this is happening at a time, when the slogans provided by the Islamic Republic is being most welcomed in the entire world.”
- Agah-Sazi elaborates upon reformist theoretician Said Hajjarian’s analysis of current affairs in the Islamic Republic, and concludes that Iran is developing towards “Bonapartisme.”
- Fatemeh Rajabi, wife of the spokesman of the Iranian government, says it is still too early to say if Abbas Palizdar’s disclosures of economic corruption in the Islamic Republic serve noble purposes or not.
- Judiciary head Shahroudi slams Palizdar’s disclosures of economic corruption in the Islamic Republic, says such acts serve the interests of those who want to harm Iran.
- In a vague reference to Abbas Palizdar’s accusations against him, Ayatollah Makaram Shirazi stresses the importance of the unity, and urges the clergy to “preserve its integrity.”
- Davood Ahmadinejad, brother of the Iranian president, and head of the special investigations office of the presidency condemns Abbas Palizdar and says: “With his lies, he has sparked off a crisis in the society.”
- Davood Ahmadinejad also says everyone can say whatever he pleases, but that some of Palizdar’s claims were lies.
- Asr-e Iran publishes some details on the flight of the first president of the Islamic Republic, Abol-Hassan Bani-Sadr from Iran.
- Iranian academic Mahmoud Sari’ al-Qalam discusses reasons behind Iran’s political underdevelopment.
Religion, Culture, and Society
- Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi says not everyone who writes a risala is an ayatollah, and using that title also has other preconditions.
- Head of the Islamic Propagation Organization says the foreigners have always utilized religious superstition to advance their goals in Iran, explains the schemes of his organization to counter it.
- According to Agah-Sazi, despite injection of oil income into the economy, unemployment has only been reduced by 0.3 percent.
- Iran, Venezuela launch joint bank.
Military and Security
- Revolutionary Guards chief, Ja’fari inspects the Islamic Republic of Iran Navy and its missile capability in the Persian Gulf.
- Emrooz discusses the role of Shahbazi, imprisoned Islamic Republic of Iran historian.
- ElBaradei threatens to resign if more robust measures are taken?
- Iran’s IAEA rep: Iran will never give into illegitimate demands.
- Time to disengage UN Security Council from Iran nuclear issue.
Human Rights and Labor
- Haft Tapeh sugar cane workers form their own trade union.
Photo of the Day
- Iran Red Crescent search dog.