[Thanks to Ali Alfoneh for his compilation; (E) signifies English link]
- According to Sobh-e Sadeq, one of the Iranian businessmen meeting with U.S. presidential candidate Barak Obama clams Obama has said he wants to establish relations with Iran.
- Iranian-American academic Houshang Amirahmadi, who says he has mediated between the U.S. and Iran, says Ahmadinejad has a complex personality instigating crises, but at the same time wants peace.
- According to Entekhab, prospect of improvement of Iran-U.S. relations worries the Arab states of the Persian Gulf.
- Basij Chief Hojjat al-Eslam Ta’eb says establishment of a U.S. interest section in Tehran is not a threat to the Revolution.
- MIT professor Noam Chomsky says the U.S. interest section in Tehran could serve as a “sabotage center from within Iran.”
- (E) More Chomsky comments in Tehran Times.
- Sobh-e Sadeq echoes Boston Globe’s analysis that a U.S. interest section in Tehran only serves the goal of establishing contact with dissidents.
- Diplomasi-ye Irani analyses Iran-U.S. relations and the Ahmadinejad government’s signals.
- Ahmadinejad says U.S. Undersecretary Burns’ driver in Geneva told the Iranian negotiator Jalili: “We are with you!”
- The Iranian president also claimed that most U.S. soldiers in Iraq sympathize with Iran.
- Adds: “As Muslims we are not the opposite of the religion of Christ. We are not opposed to the religion of the Jews. I told the heads of American churches that if Lord Jesus resurrects, I’ll follow all his orders. This made them wonder…There is only one religion and they all said the same thing. Islam is the completion of Judaism and Christianity…
- God is witness to the fact that I have written a letter to Bush, and prior to writing of the letter I performed the religious ablution. At the time I wanted to sign the letter I said ‘Great God, let guidance be in this letter and if he was stubborn make him dishonorable in the eyes of others.’ This is our duty.”
- In an interview with NBC, the Iranian president welcomes U.S. participation in Geneva nuclear negotiations. (E) here.
- Ahmadinejad tells NBC U.S. statesmen should “abandon threats and ultimatums” when dealing with the Islamic Republic. Ahmadinejad adds that the Iranian nation would not consider the incentive package a great incentive since “the doors of the world are not closed to us.”
- Larijani discusses U.S. strategy in the Middle East and Central Asia and stresses the necessity of devising an Iranian strategy to counter it.
- Nicaraguan president on his way to Iran.
- Foreign minister Mottaki says the Islamic Republic wants a seat in U.N. Security Council.
- Laotian foreign minister supports the Islamic Republic’s bid for membership of the U.N. Security Council.
- Energy minister of Sri Lanka thanks Iran for providing $65 million for electricity to remote Sri Lankan villages.
Military and Security
- Multi-National Forces in Afghanistan say they have confiscated Iranian weapons in Taliban hands.
- Daily Telegraph says a huge explosion was heard in Tehran and claims the explosion happened at a Revolutionary Guards base assisting Lebanese Hezbollah.
- (E) Iran overhauls F-14 fighter jets.
- Major General Seyyed Hassan Firouz-Abadi, Chief of Staff of Armed Forces Command Council, says opening of the Hormuz Strait is a priority for the Islamic Republic.
- In a separate interview Firouz-Abadi says, in case of threats, Iran will shut the Strait to the enemy.
- Sobh-e Sadeq publishes an interview with Ali Motma’enian, head of the Iranian Army’s Document Center.
- Commander Ahmad Migani, Air Force Chief, discusses tactical issues.
- Sobh-e Sadeq discusses the Basij Resistance Force from a sociological point of view.
- Revolutionary Guards commander Aberoumand says the new structure of the IRGC will help the Basij.
- Rezai, former commander in chief of the Revolutionary Guards, tells the tale behind Iran’s acceptance of U.N. Security Council Resolution 598 ending the Iran-Iraq war.
- Deputy Armed Force Command Council chief and Basij chief Zolghadr says he will not accept executive responsibility in case he is offered a cabinet portfolio.
- Adds he is against Iran-U.S. negotiations.
Human Rights and Labor
- Video footage from the Iranian television explaining the background for hanging of 29 criminals.
- Law Enforcement Forces establish new special operations units to deal with “hooligans.”
- Emirates company Crescent optimistic about prospects for UAE participation in export of Iran’s natural gas.
- Aras Free Trade Industrial Zone experiences increased trade.
- (E) Iranian cars grow in popularity in Turkey.
- Rumors of appointment of appointment of Mojtaba Hashemi Samareh as interior minister.
- Deputy petroleum minister Ali Kordan may be appointed as Interior Minister.
- Kayhan ediotor Shariatmadari says former president Khatami’s candidacy for presidential elections may well be rejected by Guardian Council.
- Sobh-e Sadeq, the Revolutionary Guards mouthpiece, attacks Mehdi Karrubi and Mohammad Khatami as extremists.
- Karrubi says massive popular participation in presidential elections “will foil conspiracies of hidden hands.”
- Pleasant Scent of Servitude parliamentary faction supporting Ahmainejad’s reelection starts campaigning.
- Housing prices decrease in Tehran.
- Zahedan/Kerman railway to open in a year.
- E’temad publishes the price of products in the Iranian market.
- Iran’s oil income during the past six months equals the entire oil income of last year.
- Vice petroleum minister discusses hand over of national oil companies to holding companies.
Religion, Culture, and Society
- Shi’a News slams Special Women’s Parks in Tehran, since mobile phones with cameras can film uncovered women inside the area.
- Shi’a News publishes a lengthy article on life in Ma’soumiyeh Theological Seminary of Qom.
- Theological Question of Shi’a News: “Question: Is it allowed for women to imagine another man in order to increase sexual preparedness while having sexual intercourse with her husband? Answer: This should be avoided. Women should not think of other men than their husband. This issue has been discussed in length in the Islamic literature. Among other things it is said that in case woman or man thinks of other persons while having sexual intercourse the fetus would be damaged.”
- A Russian magazine claims Islam will be the majority religion in Russia by 2050.
- Minister of Higher Education says the Islamization Scheme of universities will be conducted under the supervision of ayatollah Mesbah Yazdi.
- Minister of Higher Education says 15 centers for commemoration of the martyrs will established at 15 universities.
- Sobh-e Sadeq slams Sky News’ interview with a member of the Mojahedin-e Khalq organization.
- Ahmadinejad says his government has devised a ”special gift” for journalists with housing problems.
Photo of the Day
- Burying unknown martyrs in Qom.