[Thanks to Ali Alfoneh for his compilation; (E) signifies English link]
- Presidential hopeful Karrubi says the era of “driving a Mercedes is over,” and urges the elites to understand the hardships of common people.
- In the wake of a controversy about Ahmadinejad misquoting the Supreme Leader in parliament, Moe’talefeh spokesmen Taraghi says the president is “totally obedient to the Supreme Leader.”
- Alef News Agency wonders why Parliamentary Speaker Ali Larijani allowed Ahmadinejad to falsify the words of the Supreme Leader ahead of a vote of confidence to his ministerial nominees.
- Mo’talefeh secretary Habibi says the Supreme Leader is “a great asset which should not be used on everyday matters,” a reference to Ahmadinejad’s false statements.
- Ahmadinejad deputy in executive affairs Ali Sa’id-Lou says Kayhan’s attacks against the Iranian president are due Kayhan’s insufficient knowledge of events.
- Kayhan editor Shariatmadari evaluates the political crisis of the past few days involving the Ahmadinejad’s misrepresentation of Khamenei’s words: “It is obvious that the viewpoint of the Supreme Leader of the Revolutions is the Fasl al-Khatab [final word] for us, and it is written in it that ‘the negotiation which have taken place in this regard are not counter factual.’ Naturally, he [the Supreme Leader] is the best judge, but the explanation of the Beit [house hold, reference to the Supreme Leader’s office] also stresses that the exact words of the Supreme Leader were ‘not opposed to’…”
- Emrooz publishes secret negotiations of the parliament prior to the vote of confidence to interior minister Ali Kordan.
- Alef News Agency publishes its complete correspondence with Oxford University disclosing that interior minister Kordan is not an Oxford Ph.D.
- A number of parliamentarians file a complaint against Ahmadinejad for forging the words of the Supreme Leader and deceiving the parliament in an attempt to persuade the parliament to give a vote of confidence to his ministerial nominees. The same group is so filing a complaint against interior minister Kordan for lying.
- Ali Dowrani, close to Tehran mayor Qalibaf, denies rumors on the Supreme Leader having dissuaded Qalibaf from running for presidency.
- Rumors about former Interior Minister Mostafa Pour-Mohammadi’s candidacy for the presidency.
- Khatami says his meeting with “my comrade” Nateq Nouri was not politically motivated and of a private nature.
- Khatami also denies rumors on his attempts at organizing a large alliance ahead of the next presidential elections and claims not to know the meaning of a “national unity government.”
- Khatami also claims he does not sense any danger of being disqualified for running for presidency. More here.
- Reformist Mosharekat front says disqualification of Khatami for presidential elections would be the end of the Islamic Republic.
- Minister of Communications faces a vote of no confidence next week.
- Mellat Bank Chief Executive says the petroleum industry must introduce private sector thinking into its operations.
- The Revolutionary Guards’ Khatam al-Anbia Construction Company digs a record deep tunnel.
- Shahriyar Barbod, former executive manager of Miangozar bridge project of Lake Oroumiyeh, accuses a “Jewish company,” “foreign conspiracies” and “sabotage” for a number of problems with his project.
Religion, Culture, and Society
- Khamenei says salvation of the community of believers is only possible by reading the Quran and claims the enemy is “instigating discord among Muslims.”
- (E) More.
- Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Shirin Ebadi denies rumors that one of her daughters has converted to the Bahai religion.
- Resalat editor Anbar-Louyee claims Iran has “the most free media of the world.”
- Former president Mohammad Khatami stresses the importance of a free press and praises the role of the Iran Press Association.
- According to Alef News “a French journal” has released news of U.S.-Iran meetings between an Iranian delegation headed by former foreign minister Kharazi and an American delegation.
- Larijani complains the U.S. utilizes the international organizations to impose its will on the international society.
- Bahman Hossein-Pour appointed ambassador to Turkey.
- (E) Moscow denies sanctions deal on Iran.
- (E) U.S. doubts Germany’s willingness to pressure Iran.
Human Rights and Labor
- (E) Two Kurdish activists sentenced to death in Sanandaj.
Photo of the Day
- Punishing a grocer for selling at inflated prices.