(Thanks to Ali Alfoneh for his assistance in compiling)
- Iranian government spokesman: “The [NIE] report cleanses of earlier allegations of the U.S. against Iran.”
- Member of the National Security and Foreign Policy Committee of the Iranian parliament), Heshmat-allah Falahat Pisheh, warns of a U.S. conspiracy and a “strategic trap”: “If Iran welcomes the report we have recognized the false claim that Iran has been engaged in pursuing nuclear weapons prior to 2003.”
- TABNAK (close to former IRGC head Mohsen Rezai) chooses the same line, and stresses that the report can be used against Iran.
- TABNAK also takes comfort in what the news agency calls “Support from China and from the Democratic Party [in the United States].”
- U.S. should compensate Iran for U.S. “lies about Iran.”
- For more, in English, see: here and here.
- Commentary, in English, ridicules Bush’s lies.
- ElBaradei pleased.
- Ahmadinejad,while accepting the credentials of the new Swedish ambassador: “The entire world must recognize and respect our nuclear rights.”
- Secretary of the Islamic Republic of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, Said Jalili holds a closed meeting with Russian president Vladimir Putin.
- Putin assures Iran that it will finish the Bushehr nuclear plant on time.
Economy and Trade
- Minister of Economy: “Budget deficit reaches three trillion tomans.” ($3.1 billion)
- Rising exchange rates: 1 U.S. Dollar rises to 9650 rials, the Euro reaches 14050 rials
- Iran’s economy affected by Dutch disease.
- Turkey-Iran talks over power plant construction.
- Free-trade zones for Iran-Turkey border?
- Fourth round of U.S.-Iran talks in Baghdad to commence within days.
- Raja News Agency: “The United States utilizes [the Kurdish terrorist organization] PEJAK to create a new Israel in the region.”
- Iran and Canada no longer enjoy diplomatic relations at ambassadorial level.
- Canada acted contrary to international norms, claims spokesman of Iranian foreign ministry.
- More, in English.
- For background, see Dec. 4 Iran News Round Up.
- Gulf Cooperation Council Summit’s communiqué supports United Arab Emirates’ claims in the island dispute with Iran.
- SCIRI leader Abdulaziz Hakim opposes the idea of “permanent U.S. army bases in Iraq.”
- ISNA reports upon the poor condition of public education in rural areas.
Human Rights and Labor
- Wife of imprisoned Iranian human rights and civil society activist Emad al-Din Baghi says that Baghi is no longer allowed to receive visitors.
- Deputy representative of the Supreme Leader in Basij Resistance Force: “We must concentrate our efforts on developing resistance cells.”
- At GCC, Iran proposes joint Persian Gulf army.
Religion, Culture, and Society
- Hojjat al-Eslami Mohammad-Mehdi Karimi-Nia presents his Ph.D. research project on the theological and legal dimensions of sex change operations at Imam Khomeini Research Center in the holy Shi’ite city of Qom.
Photo of the Day
- Remembering victims of C-130 crash.