(Thanks to Ali Alfoneh for his assistance in compiling)
- Ali Akbar Velayati, former Foreign Minister and Current Advisor to the Supreme Leader: “One should not be optimistic when it comes to the prospects of Iran-U.S. relations.”
- Velayati: ”The U.S. faces fiasco in the Middle East. American policies have been defeated.”
- Hojjat al-Eslam Zolnour, representative of the Supreme Leader in the Revolutionary Guards, criticizes Khatami’s foreign policy before a crowd of Basij Resistance Force members.
- Foreign Minister Mottaki: ”Expansion of relations with Russia is our strategy.”
- “All-out expansion of ties” in English.
- Ahmadinejad heads to Mecca on Sunday.
- Public opinion supports rapprochement between the Islamic Republic and Egypt.
- Britain to publish its own Iran-nuclear intelligence estimate.
- Iran, Russia resolve problems over Bushehr.
- Arya reports increased activities of the Hojjatiyeh secret society in the Islamic Republic.
- Mohsen Rezai, former commander in chief of the Revolutionary Guards, establishes a political grouping called “The Party of National Development,” the main body of which is composed of former Iran-Iraq War-era Revolutionary Guards commanders.
- Rezai’s speech.
- Suspect captured after murder of French tourist in Isfahan.
- The “Unknown Soldiers of the Imam of the Age” [Iranian ministry of intelligence forces] annihilate a terrorist group in Sistan va Baluchistan province.
Religion, Culture, and Society:
- Theologian Seyyed Abbas Hosseini Qaem-Maqami: “Religious innovation is a barrier against violence and dictatorship.”
- Head of Foundation of Martyrs and Self-Sacrificers stressed the importance of propagating culture of martyrdom through improvement of conditions of life for families of the martyrs.
- A certain Hojjat Barzegar calls Iranian students to arms in a Marxist struggle against the Islamic Republic.
Economy and Trade
- President inaugurates new bank.
- Iranian-assembled and Syrian-manufactured Pride automobile enters the market.
- The Islamic Republic takes a leading position in production of an “Islamic Automobile,” based on cooperation between various Muslim countries.
- Iran, Turkey sign trade pact.
- Mount Damavand shows volcanic activity.
- (Mt. Damavand is Iran’s tallest mountain, in the Alburz range; can be seen from Tehran on clear days).
Human Rights and Labor
- Labor activist in Saqez, Mahmoud Salehi, imprisoned.
- Iran-FIFA dispute over politicization of football organization in Iran.
Photo of the Day
- First bicycle lane inaugurated on (traffic-clogged) Tehran streets.