[Thanks to Ali Alfoneh for his compilation; (E) signifies English link]
- Turkey’s president Abdullah Gul says his country will not “surrender to U.S. pressures when it comes to trade and commercial dealings with Iran.”
- Ahmadinejad prepares for his third trip to the United States to attend the U.N. General Assembly.
- The U.S. Department of State believed to be “looking for some one to head the U.S. Interest Section in Tehran.”
- Ansar News Agency slams Mehdi Karrubi’s visit to Saudi Arabia.
- United Arab Emirates expresses readiness to discuss the disputed islands issues in international forums.
- Lebanese politician Sa’ad Hariri backs up the United Arab Emirates’ claims to disputed islands in the Persian Gulf.
- London-based former minister of culture Ata-ollah Mohajerani says “U.S. dreams of the velvet revolution of Georgia have met their end.”
- (E) Deputy head of IAEA arrives in Tehran.
- Tehran University Dean Rahbar says the West is hoping to see the psychological effect of the sanctions regime against the Islamic Republic.
- Mo’talefeh spokesman Taraqi says Ahmadinejad runs great risks by making trips to “dangerous destinations,” but concludes Ahmadinejad’s trips improve the Islamic Republic’s diplomacy.
- Sadeq Ziba-Kalam, Iranian academic and Rafsanjani protégé, says the difference of opinion between Rafsanjani and Ahmadinejad is due to their opposing world views and conflicting views on statesmanship.’
- Rafsanjani deplores lack of expertise in political decision making.
- The Islamic Republic’s Cultural Heritage Foundation denies dismissal of vice president Mashayee.
- Referring to Mashayee, Grand Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi says there is no reason to have “people with such mentality to be around the president.”
Military and Security
- The U.S. establishes a new radar site in Israel to counter Iran’s Shahab-3 missiles.
- According to Khedmat News close to the Ahmadinejad government, the missile launch to space, a prelude to a satellite launch, was conducted on the night of the birth anniversary of the Imam of the Era.
- (E) Editorial of Kayhan, close to Supreme Leader, on missile launch into space.
- Shahab News publishes the complete text of the Ahmadinejad’s words prior to launching a rocket into space: “Ya Mahdi Edrekni, ya Mahdi Edrekni, ya Mahdi Edrekni.”
- Scott Ritter claims the United States is supporting sabotage activities inside Iran via the Mojahedin-e Khalq Organization.
- Mohsen Rezaee, former commander in chief of the Revolutionary Guards, wonders why the Islamic Republic celebrates the outbreak of the Iran-Iraq war and not the end of the war in 1988.
- The U.S. Dollar surpasses 10,000 Rials.
- Alef News Agency publishes a report showing the weaknesses of Ahmadinejad’s oil dividend scheme.
- (E) Iran proposes investment guarantees to German companies.
Religion, Culture, and Society
- Ghera’ati, head of the Headquarters for Friday Prayers in Iran, says the Imam of the Era is “an international personality,” and claims the reason behind his occultation is “lack of precondition for emergence.” Ghera’ati also said sports cups and other prizes for competition are devoid of “logical advantages” and that the Prophet’s tradition of giving date palms and camels is much better.
- The Iranian Academy of Language introduces new words in Persian to protect the language against influx of foreign words.
- Heidar Moslehi, had of the Awqaf charitable foundations, claims the 1979 revolution was the “minor emergence of the Imam of the Era.”
- Law Enforcement Forces announce harsh actions to be taken against those not respecting the fasting month of Ramadan.
- Tehran City Council to expand Khavaran cemetery, the resting place of the victims of the mass executions of 1988.
Human Rights and Labor
- Australian union protests against lashings, death sentences against Iranian workers.
Photos of the Day
- Preparing for launch of dummy satellite into space.